deer crossing river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Nov 26, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    My uncel and I were driving down state Route 52 today along the river when something caught our eye. Obviously when we are driving along the river the last thing were paying attention to is the road. LOL. There was a buck swimming from the Ohio side all the way to the kentucky side. We have seen 4 or 5 deer do this in the past couple of years. As a matter of fact last year we were fishing a large creek mouth last year on a nice dark night (no moon, pitch dark) when we heard a crash in the water. We pointed a spot light in the direction and what do you know. It was a buck swimming from one side to the other. Pretty neat to see them trying to book it across the river though. He was shall we say "hoovin it" LOL

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    lol if that was me the next thing that deer would see is a meat grinder lol :wink:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I guess I may be to much of a city boy, I was fishing the Little Miami one night and saw a few swim across, had no idea that deer could even swim like that...but man from one side of the river to another?? Some one better sign that deer up for the 2012 olympics!!:smile2::eek:oooh:

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Our rivers are not that wide and not necessarily deep It is not uncommon for deer to swim them. Hogs are also good swimmers even though they don't look like they would be. Rattle snakes also swim rather well. A year or so ago my wife and I were fishing the Four Finger area at Choke Canyon. A rattle snake that was probably between five and six feet long came swimming across in front of the pontoon boat. She left her chair on the front of the boat. There were two gators nearby one about four feet long and one about nine feet long. It was during the breeding season. I don't know for sure what happened but it was the darndest commotion you ever want to see. This may have been a turf battle between the two males, foreplay between a male and a female or a fight over lunch. I am not sure but I think the snake got ate and the little gator left so fast that it left a muddy contrail similar to those left by jets in the sky.