Deer Creek shad

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by butlersbeagles, Apr 13, 2006.

1. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went today and got about 50 down at the spillway.I got mostly big ones and i few small ones.I like them around 4-6 inches but any shad is a good shad.

2. dandaman

dandaman New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    Well what did you catch with them bro?

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah, me and little bro were there about 1:15 and got about 40 or so also. They were easy to come by.

Now, there was a sign posted that you are not to throw the cast net within 1000 feet of the dam.

But, I asked a Ranger last year at the Ohio State Fair in the Parks and Recreation section and he said it could be used within 1000 feet as long as you were only catching non game fish. Bluegill can't be taken for bait with a castnet. But shad is OK.

So, who knows what the real rule is????? We were throwing it on the other side of the bridge so close to 1000 feet I guess, dont really want to tempt any ranger in writing a nice fine for us.

But, the shad were really nice for sure.

4. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hadnt used mine yet.I got them on ice and planning to go out tomorrow.I seen those signs also.I was throwing to the right of the bridge up close to the bank.Well have to get together and throw sometime.I like to have a stock pile of them.Heres the the new regulation on nets.

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.