Deer Creek Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chris45601, Aug 4, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    This will be my first time fisghing Deer Creek lake, Or should i fish the Creek it's self? Is there any good flat heads on Deer creek? Where should i fish?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dunno about that lake, but goodluck bro...rollo

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i can't seem to get the odr outlook to work, So who knows

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Chris Ive fished the spillway a couple of times with marginal luck but was catching channels not flats. Tea fishes there all the time so he might be able to answer better. If he doesnt answer here I would fish with the known good baits i.e. live shad/gills. Just remember tho at the spillway it is posted that you cannot use a castnet within 1000 ft of that dam.

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah i catch gills using crickets and worms, use them as bait if i can i'll shoot for a nice big fat yellow belly lol

6. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    chris within all the time ive been targeting flatys i learned that yellow bellyies dont work as good as a creek chub or warmouth and for deer creek shad and bluegills work great

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the best baits i have found for flatties are lively ones. lol..i like warmouth, greensunfish, bullheads, etc. even smallmouth. i have caught big flats on small baits, and big baits. i think the biggest factor is the amount of fight, or what i call rooting your bait does that makes a difference. you don't want a bait that is kickin for 20 min. then layin down on ya! thats why some baits seem to be better than others. big difference between a pond gill, and a warmouth caught out of a creek.. sure, baits that they are used to seeing and eating are good, but, a hungry flat isn't gonna be choosey when there is an easy meal in front of him.:wink:

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    This guy that was fishing down the creek from me was giving pointers, On how to cut the bait to keep it alive but make sure he was kicking around, You cut just the Fan part of the tail, The wobble like crazy don't die but wobble like all get out.

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cut the fin down on the tail (also keeps them from pullin' too hard) and the dorsal. This does three things. This makes them tend to tip over in the water (1), gets thier dorsal out of the way of your hook point (2) and gets a little blood scent in the water. Some says it makes the sunfish easier to eat as well. I don't think that's really a factor for even a small flathead.--How it works-- The bait keeps struggling to stay upright by flipping it's tail.--The result-- more vibration in the water to attract fish. Good Luck!!