Deer Creek (Dam area)

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by itzsteven, Jul 18, 2009.

1. itzsteven

itzsteven New Member

State:
    oh
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm learning how to fish. I have a few questions. I went to the Dam few times, I used the baits (minnow, night crawler, secret-7) but I didn't even get a bite. Did I use the wrong bait? I'm planning to go tomorrow again and I wonder if anyone can give me few tips about the baits that I should use for some catfish please.
    Thanks
    Steven

2. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try bluegills or shad, live or cut

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That palce is very hard to fish, best luck would be in the spring when they let alot of water out..come late summer and fall there aint many decent cats left, people have taken them all.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Got to agree with this post 100%.

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Steven,
    Welcome to the site. I fished Deer Creek below the dam earlier tonight (From 8:30 pm till midnight) and tried the following baits: Sucker Chubs (Large & small), Goldfish, Cut shad, Israeli Carp, Chicken Liver (last resort). Had a few short runs on a large chub and the cut shad but no hookups. My fiancee had her chicken liver nibbled on and stolen all night. There were ALOT of people fishing down there tonight and the largest fish i saw caught was a 10" sheepshead that was about the same size as some of my bait. I talked to some guys down there who fish it often and they said the bite has been real slow lately. I'd recommend trying above the dam in the lake. Around the mouth of the marina or the north end of the reservoir where the creek runs into the lake. Hope you have better luck than i did tonight.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  6. Tuckertroop

Tuckertroop New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Best time to fish below the dam is April and May. Fish early morning from sunrise untill noon if you dont get any by then time to wrap it up. This comes from my late great uncle who spent many mornings catching big flatheads from there. Like Garrett pointed out try the area where the creek goes into the lake. It is shallow through there only 5 ft or so. Try using cut shad and thow out as close to the middle of the creek as possible. I know a few guys who do this and catch a bunc of decent channels.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    you will see me out there with my 10 and 12 foot rods to get out in the channel in the shallow end of the lake to get at the channels out there.the fishing is better there in the day time than the night for some reason.shad is the best bait there.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people