Deer condo

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by wally_1951, Oct 21, 2006.

1. wally_1951

wally_1951 New Member

State:
    mo
    went out to check deer condo today...like i do every year bout this time...looks good....small stand....on the ground that i built in 2000....its a 4 x 8 hut thats on the ground....two man with bar stools....table built in middle....with heater....and push lites...nice....i take a coleman stove and make my coffee b4 i open it up to hunt....question....although they say that deer and smell anything...i dont seem to have a problem getting deer every year...do mater how much coffee i cook.....can they smell the coffee or what????

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think they smell it. But I think their behavior has a lot to do with how much pressure they are under. I think a lot of "forgiveness" in our behavior is just hunting pressure. We get lucky because there is so much hunting going on in smaller areas. How much did you hear? How many 4 wheelers? Now think ; a deer can hear, see & smell much more. My 2 cents.

3. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Sure they can smell coffee if the wind gos to them, if the wind is from them to you they won't smell it. Even if they do smell it, they may or may not spook. They can smell each other and acorns and turnips and coyotes and many other things, not every thing they smell spooks them.

4. wally_1951

wally_1951 New Member

State:
    mo
    i think they can smell it also....doesnt seem to bother them....am in a good area...to the left of me is large hill...out in front of me about 75 yards is the luter(sp) river which during deer season is low enough for deer to cross with corn fields on the other side of river...to right mainly flat wooded bottom which leads to corn fields about 200 yards away...noise...lots...have usually 5 hunters to the left of me on 45 acres that the guy owns up the hill who always use their 4 wheelers...across the river usually the farmer is cultivating...to the right have hunting pressure...seem to have lots of hunting pressure...all i know is the guys up on the hill say i dont let anything get past so the can get shots...but they seem to get their share of deer...whats funny closes deer that came by stand was about 15 feet b4 i popped him...best so far outa that stand was 10 pt buck two years running...season bout 3 weeks away....good luck to everyone