Deer clubs starting to hurt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Poppa, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I belong to a small deer club. We lease about 1800 acres. We have 12
    members. Three member could not join this year because of the economy.
    They just could not afford it. We have about 6 members that have hunted
    together for 25 years and others that have been there almost that long.
    We have an old share croppers shack that we made into a camp house
    and we all share food and cook meals watch tv like a family. Its scary
    to have to bring in new members. You don't know how they will fit in.
    The wrong type person can make it bad for everybody. Its kind of like
    talking to a person on the phone and then letting him move into your
    house. I know good people that I really like but I will not hunt with them.
    Deer hunting brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.
    But what can you do? If we go up on dues no one can afford that.

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Did you guys consider bringing the new guys in as guests with an admission "fee"?

The "fee" would go towards initiation fees or dues if they are accepted as a full member. This way, if they're total dirtballs you can kick them out after a "trial run"...

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Steve we have guests every year but most can't afford to be members
    or they would join. If we take someone in and they are a problem, they
    will not be there the next year. They are black balled. LOL

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know how you feel about the economic crunch on the clubs. We belong to one big club over east of where we live; there are alot of members, but there have still been some that cannot afford to join again for this year. And it's mostly the same ones that hunt regularly, & fortunately, most of them are decent guys.
    Our other lease is south of where we live, & is just my husband & I, my nephew & his wife & her dad, & a co-worker of my husband's. My husband's boss offered us the lease 16yrs ago, so we've kept it as mostly family. We've had a few guests that we've each brought; some have been okay, & some not. You just never know until you hunt with someone.
    We have started taking our grandkids the past several years, trying to pass on the tradition.
    Don't know how many more years we'll be on both leases, though.
    It's a shame that something as wonderful as hunting has gotten so hard to be able to do.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You know, that's not a bad idea; a probationary period. Hmmm...:cool2:

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Times are tough right now, and we have to prioritize our expenses. No doubt.

Did you guys ever consider a fund raiser or raffles? Not sure how the gambling laws are down there, but perhaps you guys can come up with some means of generating income?

It may not make you guys much, but it may help tide you over until the economy improves.

I love AL by the way, will be going down for business in a few weeks. Don't worry I ain't stayin', us yankees know our place! :smile2:

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I understand about inviting others including family members sometimes doesn't go so well.... As far as affording it I am lucky enough to have a few acres my father in law owns for me to hunt . I have hunted public land before and have harvested a few deer . It does seem to me tho the overall experiences have not been great during deer seasons because you get the guy who starts drinking at 5am . And unsafe conditions outside of your control even with blaze orange . Adrink in the evening after all guns are cleaned and cased is not a problem with me some people don't know how to handle themselves responsibly... I do wish you all the best of luck in your decision making process and a successful ,safe deer season .

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If they are like family I would think everyone else in the club would pitch in and help em out until they can do better if that is an option.

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Some members of our hunting lease's had to drop out too. Economy is tough all over. Several of us debated on loaning the due's money to them but everytime we get involved in a deal like that we take a whippin. The one's that had to drop out werent what I'd call family. Acquaintinces maybe? Except for the gun deer seasons we rarely see each other. You can advertise in the paper too, we had to do that for one lease several years ago. Due's were $1500 each for 6 people and 3 dropped out. It was find more leaser's, pay/cough up $3000 each or loose the lease. We finaly found a father and 2 sons and its worked out great. They're more into turkeys, geese, doves etc.