Deer calls

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mr.whiskers83, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I was just wondering what types of call everyone uses while deer hunting whether it is a doe bleat, mature grunt, or what every applies.

Also, what times of the season do you have most success with calls?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have 3 can calls 2 grunt calls. If the boys are both hunting I let them take one of each and I take a can call. If the bucks are rutting good they aint going to be thinking about a dang grunt call, but I seldom use a call. rely more on ambush. If there is snow on the ground I usually still hunt. love hunting on snow.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I use a grunt tube, rattle bag, wheeze call and a doe bleat. It depends on when I'm out in the woods. During the pre-rut I opt for a grunt call and use the rattle bag. I just started using the wheeze call this year. The bleat call, I'll use during the rut. Sometimes I'll mix things up and try to sound like the whole herd. The last buck I shot, the one in my Avatar, was rattled in and came to my grunt call. He was looking for a fight. His temperament of raking his rack on a branch aggressively showed his mood. I won that battle!!:big_smile:

4. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I use a primos true talker its a great call. i called a deer that was 250 yards away right in with it.... now its a lil pricy but it gets the job done.:smile2::big_smile::cool2::cool2:

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a grunt, The Can, and rattling antlers.

6. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    That's basically all that I use too but I don't have the greatest success with them. I use a grunt call fairly often especially in pre-rut and I have only had a few reactions with it, but when a mature buck hears it he will come a running, at least the few times it has worked for me. I started using the long can last year and had several deer appear after using the call and I say that because I'm not sure if it's the call or if the deer were already coming. The only thing that doesn't seem to work that well here in southern Va is the rattlin' antlers or bags. Ocasionally you might get a small curious buck come to em but that's usally it. I think maybe it's because of the over abundance of does in the area the bucks just don't have to fight for territory and does. Just MO though. Thanks for the feedback and I hope to hear more.

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have some grunt tubes and a bleat call. The only thing I know that works for me is horn rattling. I have rattled in several bucks over the years.....

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I am of the same opinion Josh.
    If I hunted more in flat terrain I would probably use a call more. In the mountains where I hunt I have seen BIG deer on the flat above or below me and used every type call that has been mentioned in this thread and only get an ocassinal turn of the head or glance my way from them. For that reason I have pretty much quit carring calls in the woods and just rely on ambush stratagy.

9. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I like to use the Can and Grunt call together.
    I do the long can twice followed by 3 short
    grunts.I used it last year and had a buck
    come running in,stopped and just tore the
    heck out of a small bush.He was snorting,he
    looked like he was crazy.I thought I was going
    to have to shoot him in self-defense.:big_smile:

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I was sitting in my stand this morning. 3 doe ran 15 yards from my stand, stopped and were looking behind them. After a couple minutes they take off. So I am waiting for the buck that is chasing them. About 60 yards away 9 more doe go running by on the other side the creek with a very nice buck 20 feet behind the last doe. I grunt and bleat but there was no stopping them. After about five minutes another nice buck is running by hot on the trail of the ones that just went by. I bent down and hit the doe bleat twice. This buck stops dead in his tracks, turns and runs full speed right at me and stops 10 yards away. He came in so fast I couldn't even stand back up, let alone go for my bow. I slowly,slowly stand and reach for my bow but by the time I got it of the hook and got ready, he trotted off back in the direction of the does. I couldn't call him back in. I was using a knight & hale ez grunter plus. I shorten the tube all the way and suck instead of blow for the doe bleat. One frustrating thing about this call is it will lock up if you get to much moisture in the tube. Happens most on cold days. I have the original can also, but I feel it is just not loud enough plus it only works half the time also.