Deer attractants?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Johny Buck, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Do any of the brotherhood members use or have positive results with any of the crazy deer attractants? Every year more and more come out, the commercials show a buck that could kick godzilla's A#* snorting all over the place. I'm just wondering if any of it is for real. I have tried a few products with maybe so so results.:confused2:

2. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    ive heard mixed results on a few different attractants. like cmere deer heard its useless, but heard deer caine works, ive poured out apple cider in the past an had deer come in within 10 yards with there nose just a sniffin away i guess certain things would work in some places an some wont. everyone i know that hunts saves me there urine i usually end up with about half a milk jug full all mixed together buck an doe then i freeze it. its works awsome like a deer herd in a bottle

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've never tried any myself. Mule deer are a different deer,we spot and stalk. come to think of it ,I got my whitetail last fall,I just keep the wind in my face and go.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use stump licker and had good results. When the rut kicks in, i hunt the doe's. Bucks won't be far behind. On a different note, it looks like we're gonna have a desent acorn crop here this year. Hopefully they'll fill out.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in Kentucky it is legal to bait for deer. We use apples,corn,and deer caine. The apples and corn work almost over night....bringing in doe family units and attracting bucks as well. If using deer caine.....it takes a little more time to establish a heavily used site. I keep and maintain a caine pit.....freshening it up in the early spring and again in late summer. Last year bachelor groups of bucks were tearing it up and trail cams can show the different bucks in your area and what time they are passing through. I mainly hunt for meat and hope to stock up heavily this fall. Hopefully can fill the freezer with plenty of good backstraps and steaks, quickly.....so I can keep on fishing!!!!!!:smile2:

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think it all works some of the time. I place more emphasis on patterning the deer's habits. Ours change each year since they mostly rotate between corn and soy beans. Stand placement, rotating your stand and even changing the trail you approach from. The big bucks pattern us much faster than we pattern them. Once they do that's it for the season. I will only kill a very good buck at least what appears to be a 160+ class or mature does. Of course you can never kill a big buck until you learn to pass on the smaller ones. They didn't get big being the first one out in the field at dusk.

That said I still put some Tink's 69 on the ground and grind my boot in it when I leave the truck when going to my stand.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Really good advice. The big bucks dont take long to catch on at all. Thinning out some of the mature does is a good practice as well as passing on the smaller bucks. We started this several years ago and have seen an explosion in mature bucks in our area.:big_smile:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i agree, different places/situations different results. right now i have some "buck jam" poored out in the back yard. they have shown some interest, but not what i was hoping for. i used to poor corn out back there, but the coons got more of it than he deer. the best results i have had were unintentional. i planted a garden a few years ago, and couldnt keep the dang things out of it. lol. hope they enjoyed it, cause they pretty much mowed it down in 2 weeeks time.

however, at the camp about 2 hours away, plain ol salt works wonders. as well as some other things. last year we poored some corn out over there, and the danged deer stepped in the corn to go around it and chew on briars. we couldnt believe it.

all works--some times...

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I learned a long time ago the hard way not to feed deer.
    I ruined the best place to hunt on a 2500 acre spread with deer food.
    Drove them completely nocturnal.

Nephew learned the hard way. He too went from killing deer and seeing deer all the time to feeding deer in the same spot and seeing nothing. Recently he told me he would never do that again.

You gotta make the deer travel and move. If you provide their needs in their bedroom they have no need to come out. You are dealing with a nocturnal animal to begin with.

I dont hunt sign. I hunt trails. Preferably intersections.
    About the most complex I get in the scent department is taking one of them red delicious apples and cutting it half. Grinding one half into my boot soles.
    The other half I'll cut into rings and wing out through the trees when I'm in the tree.
    Deer love the apples enough to make them drop their guard in many instances.

You could be hurting your hunting more then helping using commercial deer attractants. the object is making money off a hunter with antler syndrome. Fishing is the same way.
    I would opt for something simple like slapping a few fat blobs of peanut butter on a couple of trees by a well worn trail intersection.
    KISS simple.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    where i am at the deer don't respond well to feeding. i hunt bedding areas by spot and stalk, and trails they travel from there to water. water is a really big deal here, since there's not a lot of it. years ago i tried buck jam in the corn flavor and the deer ate all the bark off the mesquite i poured it on. later i couldn't get the same results, i don't know why...

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have used scents with good results. One year I was working constantly and did not have the time to scout a new area that I was going to hunt, nor did I have time to build a stand or anything. One afternoon before gun season started, I finally got off early one afternoon and drove out to where I was going to hunt. I didn't have but about an hour of daylight left so I didn't have much time but I found a decent looking area with a couple of natural open lanes to shoot thru so I marked this spot. Early opening day I made my way out to the property. Upon arriving I took our some doe in heat scent and put it on the bottom and sides of my boots. I made my way thru the woods to the area I had decided to hunt. As I made my way to that site I put some of the doe in heat scent on shrubs and weeds every 20 or 30 yds apart.

Upon arriving at my site I put my climbing stand on a tree and climbed up positioning myself with my face into the wind and I was facing one of the natural shooting lanes I had found. Behind me was a tall young sweet gum tree that was still green for it had been exceptionately warm that year. I sprayed some of the leaves with the scent as to cover my scent as well as giving off an attractant for their was a fair wind that morning.

I sat there on that stand all morning without seeing anything and had gotten somewhat dissappointed. I stuck it out as long as I could stand it, which was almost noon, and finally decided to give it up. I unloaded my gun and lowered it down to the ground and sat there for another moment and looked around one last time making sure there wasn't any deer moving in the area. As I moved to get ready to climb back down I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was a buck. He had come in directly behind the sweet gum tree that was blocking my scent but it was also blocking my view.

The buck had jumped from my movement and trotted forward past me and out into the open lanes. Luckily I hadn't spooked him enough to totally run him off.

I watched the buck as he trotted out and it looked like that he was searching for something. Then I remembered my scent and I realized that he was looking for that hot doe. Realizing this I knew that he had entered an area past me where there was no more scent so I felt like he would circle around and search for the scent again.

I was right. He turned with his nose in the air searching. I watched him as he searched the air and move to the left constantly searching. As I watched him I also eased my gun back up to me being careful that I didn't bump the tree with it or make it swing wildly. I got my gun back up and eased one shell into it and then got myself ready for when the buck circled back into the next shooting lane. When he finally got into the shooting lane he lifted his nose and sniffed and as he did I pulled the trigger and hit him perfectly.

Reflecting on this hunt I came to the relization that scents do and can work in the right situations and with the right scents. I hadn't seen a deer all morning does or bucks and, if I hadn't had laid that scent trail down I probably wouldn't have gotten that buck to come up that trail to where I was.

Will they work everytime? No. If you go in a lay in a scent trail of a doe that the bucks have not scented before it can get their intersts up but if they are already tending two or three hot does they probably won't leave those at that time to go and tend to one more. Why trade off several for just one. Most scents and tricks will work in the right situations and at the right time of year. The problem is knowing when those times are and for what in your area.

12. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    When I joined the North American Hunters Club of America years ago, they sent me deer attractants, etc. In Montana, it is VERY ILLEGAL to use baits and such. If the stuff grows wild there, let it grow wild. You cannot by any means grow your own vegitation, etc for baiting here. Thats too bad in some cases.

Then again, it's a good thing, for the REAL hunters out there will know how to hunt the animal, not by baiting.

The bucks up here range from 300+ pounds, field dressed. The ones I have seen in FL, you can down the with a 22 cal.

I leave my 30-06 at home when I go. Figure take my sw357, 6" ivory handgrips, (sorta like the old cop show, Sledgehammer, LOL). I can hit a 25 yd 22 cal rifle target with a 357 mag at 50 yds and hit the bulls eye 5 of 6 times. The target looks like a black speck against the backdrop.

SPeaking of shooting, almost time to get my son's rifle sighted in for squirrel and gopher shootin. LOL

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I guess i need you to explain what an "attractant" is. It seems to mean baiting to the majority of the respondents equate it with baiting. In my opinion baiting and attracants are two different things. We can't bait in NY but I certainly use attractants. If you ment baiting, I don't . If you ment use different scents, sounds, and visual aids Heck yeah I use em and would be happy to share with you my opinion, the products I swear by, and % of success. I keep a log of each trip, and what I did to set up the hunt.

Richard

14. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    richard im eager to hear about what you use an what works an what doesnt :wink:

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont bother anymore with baiting or scents, they wont make the deer magiclly appear. They can make the deer pause though for a better shot. Most bucks that have came in with scent are usually the yearlings.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've discovered a few things over the years. As far as "baiting" goes, I will use corn and feed to suppliment what they've got. I mostly put it out on the years when there's sparce natural food like when there's a drought. What I've found out is that you have to put it on a trail that is being used. If they're not using the trail, then they won't come to the food. The only reason they're using the trail is that they've already got food they're going to. The only thing the feed layed out does is to slow them down a bit for a good shot. I basically have to find where the deer are first before I can get the food to them, so just spreading some out doesn't mean that the deer will come to me.

As far as scents, the attractants just seem to be hit or miss. I haven't seen alot of deer come into my trails I set out. The bucks usually already know the does that are in heat or coming in heat and are already following them around already. You might get lucky and get a buck to come in that isn't trailing does already because he's not the dominant buck.

The best things I've used are a cover scent that smells like deer. Since I'm already in an area where there's deer known to be as I'm on a hot trail, I use the "Deer Heard in a Bottle" cover scent. With it, I've been standing up wind from deer and had them walk to within touching distance of me without them even seeing me. I've actually been able to ignore the wind with this cover scent as they feel comfortable when they wind it.

I don't use attactants that much anymore as long as I know there's deer present. I just try to blend in and be where I figure they'll be at, and see more of them that way.

17. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Ratkinson, I should have been more descriptive but after thinking about it, it goes for both. Seems like where I have used scents or attractants from doe n heat to food based products I get so so results when hunting with them. More than half the time spooking deer is my result. Maybee if I hunted in a 20,000 ac area where the deer were not pressured I might have different results. I guess I'm just a sucker for trying to get that advantage.

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have tried many different scents and as with others here, with mixed results. I hunt North Central MO. Cattle, Turkey, corn & soybean country. Over the years, I have settled with the following strategy. On the way to the stand, I step in cow patties every chance I get. They are used to smell and if they should hear me, they assume I'm a cow. (Don't wear same shoes in a tree stand, they know cows don't climb trees and will spook) (Also, don't wear into camp, good way to get kicked out of camp) That is the only scent I use. I hunt just back from field edges. When doe hunting, I set out 6 turkey decoys in the middle of the field. Does don't hesitate coming into the field . When buck hunting, I set those decoys back into the woods a 150 ft or so. I hunt over that area. I have tried the doe decoy, but with not near as good results as with the turkey ones. Also almost got the doe decoy shot up which means lead flying my direction. Not something to wish for.:wink:

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Other then some Tink's 69 just before the rut, I stay away from attractants. Baiting isn't legal here. I think good scouting habits work better than anything else.

20. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I too have had mixed results with scents. I feel they spooked more than anything. About the turkey decoys that neat cause my dad went years ago on a bowhunt with a guy for the first time and when he got there the guy had these turkey decoys and my dad was like what in the world.. sure nuff does came in and he got his first and only bow kill.