Deer Attractant - Whats your favorite Deer Attractant?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by justwannano, Oct 4, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats your favorite deer attractant?
    Any one tried "comeheredeer"?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    all that stuff is illegal in illinois. it's considered "baiting". is'nt c'meer deer like the old "deer cane"? i used that stuff a couple times to see if it worked. i put it out mid season and came back a few times during that season to check it out. i didnt see much sign at all. but the next year i went back to that spot and there was a hole in the ground big enough to get a willys jeep stuck in it. i found some cut hair in the spot, and started tracking. i found within 30 yards of the spot. 2 gut piles and rubber gloves. someone else liked that spot too.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Natural
    salt licks
    mushrooms (morels)
    grapes
    persimonds
    white oaks early
    red oaks later
    chestnut oaks late season

all ag areas

James valley scents are the best I have found.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    salt blocks work you just have to give them time. i think of them as baiting personally, even though they are legal here.

i like natural stuff polk salet, scuppernon's, acorns, persimmons, etc.

scent wise, i like tink 69's doe in heat lure.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Personally I think scent is a waste of time and money. Why because one there are a million scents in the woods. Two any older deer has probably smelled every scent on the shelf and found out it was put there by the sneaky hunter. I dont want anything to tip off deer I am in woods. I have seen hunters walking all around their stand placing scent and also leaving their scent on everything they brush up against. Nope I sneak in and let nature take care of itself.

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cigar Smoke and Grilling Venison chops on the Bar B.. and Beerz.
    Seems like that combo will put them right off the deck nearly everytime.. :wink:

Really does seem like they come to see what we are doing .. Darn Pet Deer..

I believe in cover scents but as has been said.. their world is full of smells they know very well.. introducing new hot scents in to a placid woods is like firing up a strobe.

Sneak in, sneak out and scout..... Leave the smells and deer candy to Nature. She does a good job if ya go and take the time to discover what they have already discovered..

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I don't know much about deer but I know a few guys who will swear that the front of their cars attract more deer than anything else...W

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A doe lookin' to party.

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the only 2 things that work all the time are corn and alfalfa.

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I was going to say code blue but your asking about bait stuff which Ive never used.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Go to town buy a new bumper and grill and hang from tree?:big_smile:

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My favorite is Turkeys!! If they are around, deer will not hesitate to come in.

13. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the best i believe and cheapest attractant is the old 7$ mineral block red in color.it has more minerals than any of the attractants it last longer and is better for the deer.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    as far as lures, i love james valley gels. and fresh deer urine from a farm here. it's more of a cover than an attractant. the doe urine wont bring them in running. but, when they're around me, it makes them more comfortable. when a group of does walk in and smell the urine they'll stop and check it out. every one of them will hunker down and pee in the same spot. nothing like having 3-9 does seasoning up your area for you. cover scents: i love essence of fall. for those who dont know what it is. it's a spray that smells just like the forest floor. it's made from leaves. and for the other white tail. i like eternity, axe body sprays, and aqua di' gio. one of those will bring a doe in running ready to breed. :wink: (results may vary from region to region)