Deer are smarter than hunters

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 4, 2007.

Do you believe deer are smarter than humans?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have come to the conclusion deer are just smarter than humans. If they werent why would us (hunters) spend millions to out smart them?

1. scents
    2. camo
    3. blinds
    4. deer stands
    5. laundry soap scent free
    6. rubber boots
    7. scent blocker
    8. and the list goes on and on

I cant remember last deer I seen in a anti hunter sporting good store buying crap to outsmart us. It just comes natural. I wished I could spend a hour with a 5 year old buck and he and i could bs about what he has saw!!!:eek:oooh:

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    with ppl like me chasin em, the odds are in thier favor.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    oh so thats why I stay so hungry:confused2:

be very quiet we are hunting bucky
    :roll_eyes:

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    deer , squirrel , turkeys you name them , they know whats up.
    i cant count the numbers of times ive walked up very close to squirrels and turkeys in a state park . deer we have been very close to them on dirtbikes in boats and vehicles not so much on foot but the point is they know
    where they are safe and when its time to high tail it.
    ive crept out in the woods before day break with shotgun got set up in a nice thicket of brush we had cut and piled up from cutting fire wood waited and waited to only see 1-2 squirrels at daybreak and later in the day go down the road 3 miles at the " national park " and they would almost eat out of you hand . the woods are the same woods that was our back yard :smile2:eek:nly
    they are owned by the state and have an imaginary boundry.
    its amazeing how these animals know where and when they are safe .

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Hey Will, where is the sometimes option on the poll.:wink:. I believe I'm smarter most of the time but sometimes I question my theory. One of these days I might be able to say I'm smarter without questioning myself.lol.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Will, the only thing smarter than a Deer is my Dear wife. I can't kill a Deer easily and my Dear wife could kill me every day of the week. Gonna have to change my trails on a daily basis or avoid tall trees.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I count instinct as smart. Case closed. The older I get my "instinct" is to lay in the bed an say heck with it, LOL.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its not so much that deer are smarter them people its that people are dumber then deer. that and evolution gave deer awesome senses where our evolution watered all ours down to the point we dont use them much.

9. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Deer aren't smarter they are just more sensitive.They same way guys never get away anything at home its the same way with wildlife.Ever noticed how women who hunt always seem to fill the frezer.Maybe if we watched more opra,and less ESPN ,thier would be less deer in the world:smile2:

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When it comes to surviving in the woods, deer are much smarter, especially big bucks. They are almost impossible to kill unless they make a mistake, and there is a hunter there to catch it. Even with modern weapons, most hunters would starve to death if they had to kill deer to survive. Even in this state, where we are overrun with deer, the success rate is only about 22%.

11. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    old bucks are smart,they spend their whole life fooling predators,then when they cant take it anymore they walk out in front of a car and commit suicide.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ya' i know what you mean. i was gonna go hunting this morning. but, i could'nt find a thing to wear. i dont like my new camo. i think it makes me look fat..:smile2:

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    are deer smarter than humans. i'll ponder that question again when it's -20*, the winds are howling and the wind chill is -40*. and i'm sitting in a warm house with my feet up on a lazy-boy....

14. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Deer at better at surviving in their element. We have slowly lost our predatory skills over the eons but they have not lost any of their survival skills. I, however, have learned over the past 40 years of hunting them to outsmart enough of them to keep my freezer full every year. Most humans would starve to death if they were put into a survival situation. Deer will and can eat and thrive on just about anything....it is easier to list what a deer won't eat than what it will. Deer react to danger signals and they do not make the same mistake twice. By the time they are four years old they have experienced nearly all of them and they are imprinted in their brain. Sure would be nice if we could hook a machine up to one and it showed us a video of what is in his memory banks....

15. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok I am gonna jump in here with my theory. I don't believe that deer are "smarter" than humans. I just believe they have better sences than the human and are forced to use them for survival. If a human had the sence of smell that a deer has we could walk into the woods and know exactly where they are. When a deer smells something, he doesn't know what he is smelling, he just knows it doesn't smell quite like what he is used to smelling so he will avoid it. A deers eyesight. I don't believe a deer really knows what he sees, because when he sees something, (a human) if he can't smell it and it doesn't move he will move closer to try to smell it or get it to move. If a human had the eyesight of a turkey we would be unstopable. Sence of hearing. A deer can hear you long before he can see you, some humans have this capability, but when a deer hears something he instantly goes to his keenist sence, the smell. If we could hear something then turn on the smell factor, imagine what we could do. Another thing a deer has is the ability to run fast. If we could run as fast as they do we would have even more advantage. I mean have you ever seen a deer using a climbing tree stand to avoid us? Or building a natural blind to hide from us?

16. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My dear Belinda I agree deer can run fast but I never seen one run over 300 feet a second and that is a arrow coming out of a bow. They have the perfect natural camo. Unless they move you cant see one 10 feet away. I did believe one night after me and Jose had a meeting I seen one in my ladder stand but thats another story!!!

17. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa

My Darlin Will. If you go back to the title of this thread, it is. "Deer hunters are smarter than hunters?" Not, can a deer out run an arrow? Before you can get a shot at that deer at 15-20 yards, you have to be smart enough to get close enough or better yet get past their keene senses. If a deer winds you at 25 yards away he is going to run faster than your arrow can get to him. Correct? So back to my theory.... it isn't intelligence that a deer has on a human, but senses. :wink:

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No deer the title wasnt "Deer hunters are smarter than hunters":eek:oooh: I believe you also state and I quote " you have to be smart enough to get close enough" you must be tired so I will stop with this little tidbit until my brain joined yours it was Deer 6 Belinda 0 (here comes the couch):tounge_out:

19. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    OOps!! :wink: A Womans brain never gets to rest. A million things going on at once and a little typo on the BOC.... you knew what I meant :angry: Hahaha

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You never know whats going on here while your not logged on!!! LOL