Deer and pecans?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Big B, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was just wondering if any of you have seen deer eat pecans. There are many pecan trees where I hunt and there are never any pecans on the ground. I know that squirrels will eat them and so will hogs.There is a deer trial in front of a group of these trees. I have not witnessed deer eating them. The pecans are about to hit the ground and I want to hunt a tree that is loaded with pecans. I just don't want to waste any time hunting a food source if they wont eat it.

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    there are'nt any pecan trees around here. but, if they eat bitter red oak acorns. i can just imagine pecans are a delicacy. i bet thats why there's never any on the ground. sounds like a gold mine to me..

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A deer is nothing but a brown goat with antlers instead of horns.
    Anything is a food source.
    Here they eat anything from briars to tobacco.

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i watched a fawn doe try to eat a yellow caution ribbon that a game warden had put up to mark park boundries.i dont know if they eat pecans but my bet is they probably love them.

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Brian;
    I used to hear all the time that Deer would not eat corn too. I found out early in life that they DO eat corn! They eat pecans too.
    Deer are herbivores and they are opportunistic feeders. That means they are vegetarians and will eat what is available.
    While Deer DO have foods they like better than others just like us, they will eat what is available if there is nothing better to eat.
    I don't know if you know this or not but Deer just L-O-V-E apples too!
    My uncle once owned some land that had a small apple tree on it. Anytime I wanted to get a Deer during Archery/Firearms/Black-powder season all I usually had to do was hide near that apple tree! In fact, the lower branches and limbs were eaten off too as high as a deer could stand on it's two hind feet!!
    I have seen them eat old dry grass in the winter if there was nothing else available.
    IF, you can put out a FOOD PLOT in the Spring I will guarantee you Deer will feed there.
    As I said, they tend to go for the Higher Calorie foods that are easily chewed but will eat what is available in poor areas or they will migrate some too as I have seen this happen too back when I was much younger and had the stamina and endurance to track them all day and night! I learned a LOT about Deer that way. Things such as if a 6 or 8 pointer comes down a trail and keeps looking behind himself or keeps his ears turned to his rear you might want to wait until that BIGGER, meaning larger Bodied, or larger Antlered, Deer comes along.
    Another thing is that a Deer can actually Back Up with his belly to the ground! I would never have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes one year and of course it happened the one time I did not take my 35mm camera with me! They can hide in places that could barely hide a rabbit! They can sneak along a shallow drainage ditch the same way, especially if there is a little scrub cover along the edges. You will never see him unless you are looking exactly where he is and even then, it can be hard! They blend in better than one would think at times!
    In addition, it's NOT the Big Buck that you have to outwit, it's that older Doe you have to watch out for because she is the one that has taught them all how to survive as youngsters and she will sound the warning in less than a heartbeat!!
    But I digress and I'm getting off your question and I do apologize! There is so much I have learned over my 40+ years of hunting these animals it's hard not to get excited whenever I am talking about them!!
    The short answer is YES, White tailed Deer WILL Eat Pecans.
    I'm SORRY for getting So Long winded! :sad2: I should have deleted all the extra and just answered your question but I thought that maybe a beginning Deer Hunter might see this post and it would help him/her out.
    I sincerely hope the short answer helps you with your decision. If you have the time, and are able to remember, PLEASE let me know how everything turned out for you this season as I would really like to know! :big_smile:
    Sincerely, Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Brian
    They eat them very quickly in georgia!

Sounds like a hot spot honey hole to me.

Lets us know in the upcoming weeks how it turns out.