deep water winter net?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by BigBird, Dec 29, 2008.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I am looking for a cast net for threadfins, gizzards and perch at 35 feet for this time of the year without paying a fortune. Can you help with some advice and recommendations-there are so many nets out there all claim to sink fast!!!!!
    I ususally throw a 6 footer but ready to move up to a 8 ft. I usually buy a cheap net for spring/summer as I am not conservative with throwing locations . Winter time would be different as a deep water net is needed.
    Thanks for your help.

2. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I ran into some of the same problems, cheaper lighter nets just don't sink fast enough and they close up before it gets to the bottom. This year I bought the 8 footer from Bass Pro it has the bigger weights on it that have the rubber insulation on them it sinks faster and I catch more shad in it. the rope is only 30 feet long but save an old rope from an old cast net and tie it on. It is a little harder to throw but it is worth the money. I think I spent about 70-80 bucks on it.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I go through 2-3 nets a year, so I give up on buying a "good one" I use the $30-$40 nets from walmart and the store at the corner of 49 and Badin lake road. I have an $80 nylon with 1/2 mesh and 1.5 pound per foot weight, I hate that thing, a few throws and I'm tired and not really more successful at catching bait with it and scared I'm going to lose it. Whenever I lose a net, I pull back something, even if it is ripped to shreds. I use the rope to add to the new net and I get the weights off old net they can be made into a drifting weight (lead). my rope on the new net is 2 lenghts long about 40 feet or so thats a handful of rope when throwing so thats long enough for me. bait is not deep for winter, they just go deep sometimes, try Garr creek now bigbird, you can just about scoop them out with your lamding net.

P.S. just a reminder..... I think it was last year (not here) the guy threw his net behind the dam and it hung the bottom, the current pulled the boat away and he was pulled off the boat and drowned. I still put it around my wrist but I keep that in mind when throwing it in current. be safe out there fellows.

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the tips Jerry.
    Didnt think about the swift water and the wrist rope thing..... something to think about.
    Talk to you soon.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey T,
    I am looking at the net specs
    Will the 5/8 be two big for threadfin shad?

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Watch out for at least some of the newer nets have non-lead weights. I bought a cheapo at walmart this week that was that way. Haven't used it yet, but they are much bulkier than lead. I tore up a good 7' recently, and don't want to tear up another good one, so I bought the cheap one for those places where I don't want to use the good ones. :wink:

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks for the safety tip Jerry, I gotta say i would not have thought it until you mentioned it!

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice safety tip Jerry. More reason to tie off to a cleat when throwing from a boat...

10. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    5/8 will gill net alot of the big threadfins and big Alewives. a 1/2 mesh net is good use for small baits in deep water.

When targeting Gizzard only a 5/8 is great in deep water. But dont be afraid to step up to a 1 1/8" mesh size. Sinks increditibly fast, and lets the smaller baits filter out.

I throw 10 and 12ft Cracker Cast nets. Betts Super Pro's are Decent netts, but 2nd in my choise. Both Rated a 1.5lb's per foot. Any lighter in weight and the sink wil be to slow, you'll catch some baits, but not as many as you could have. the main thing about Winter time bait is, mark the bait on your Sonar before you throw. Make a quick 180 turn if you have to.

The more weight and larger the net the better you are in deep water.

For smaller bait stick with a 1/2 inch. a 3/8 slows the sink. Net weight of 1.5lb per foot.

Larger baits. such as Gizzard shad and White perch. Go with a 5/8-1 1/8 net. Net weight of 1.5lb per foot.

11. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Earlier this winter I was having trouble getting shad at about the same depth your looking for. I modified my net (an 8' footer) with two stripes of duct tape just above the lead line. Make sure to go around the entire net, then 6 inches above that do the same. This ensured that the net stayed open all the way down. The tape also made it a little easier to throw. The only time i had any trouble was in the heavy current.

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i agree!

13. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Super spreader makes good net