Deep water throw net

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by BMills13, Nov 29, 2007.

1. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Does anyone have any suggestions about make, weight per foot, etc. of throw nets to reach deep water shad?

2. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm not sure how deep you are talking about but I'll give you an opinion. If you were casting 25'-30' deep, the limiting factor is your net closing before it gets down deep. Even the best cast nets will close on themselves as they sink, from memory and just the way they are designed. What a lot of folks do who throw a net for shrimp, is duct tape the edges to act has a hydrofoil to keep the net open. You would take a net and add a ring of duct tape about 6" in from the lead line along the entire circumference of the net. This will keep the net open longer as it sinks. also you want at least 1.5lbs of lead per foot on the net. 2lbs would be better on larger nets.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    For shad in 25+ ft of water: 8 ft radius minimum, 5/8" mesh and at least 1 lb per radius foot.

The large radius is to maximize the area covered by the net when it hits the water -- it'll start closing up as it falls, so you want it was wide as possible. The large mesh and extra weight help it fall through the water faster without closing up.

Nets with 1.5lb per foot are available, but will flat wear you out in no time at all (I've got a 12 ft radius, 1.5lb/ft net that's never been in the water -- Ijust ain't man enough to throw it...) Look for something in the 1 to 1.25 lb/ft range, certainly nothing less. You may need to add extra handline to reach fish below 30 ft. - it's easy to splice that hollow nylon cord; you can find instructions on the web for doing so.

Be real careful where you throw - there's a lot of stuff down deep that'll grab your net and not give it back; I went through 7 nets last year between November and January... Sometimes you'll throw a net once and it's gone forever, other times it'll last you 6 months.

I'm partial to the Lee Fisher "Bait Buster" nets myself - I ordered my last one direct from the factory on Amazon.com. They're not cheap, but they're also nowhere near the high end of the price scale. Shipping is a real killer on these things.

It's unlikely you'll find a suitable net at your local tackle shop, Catfish Connection or even at BPS or Cablea's. Steve Brown of Catfish Safari carries a good quality net suitable for deep-water use - check with him to see if they're currently in stock or not -- http://shop.catfishsafari.com

4. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Appreciate the replies. Marty i think I'll take your advice. If a dude with the handle Mr.T has a hard time throwin 1.5 lbs. per foot I'll probably shy away from that. Joke. Didn't really think about the larger gap in the mesh helping it sink. New to the wesite and have received a lot of help and great information so far. I'll check out those nets and again thanks for the info.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Has anyone tried the Shad Trawl (you tow it in circles 35 feet behind the boat) I saw it at CC and wondered about using one in the lake.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Check your local laws and regs. In Tx you can only throw a max of 7' radius.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good point.

Some states restrict the net radius, others restrict the mesh size.

You definitely need to work within the laws of your state.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's likely to be illegal in many states.

Better check your regs -- if it's not specifically permitted, it's almost certainly prohibited.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been told that "Duct Tape" on a cast net is illegal in some states.

Normally the higher you can get above the water,the larger the net that you can open with the same effort as it has a much longer time to open.Wind,net,throw line,etc all add in.People throw nets with a enormous spread off of bridges,cliffs,even ships.Spread of your net is the #1 help with depth how ever you accomplish your needed spread.I have very successfully commercially fished part time for shrimp and mullet with a cast net.I have never cast for Shad other than Menhaden & such for saltwater bait.

Practice until you learn to throw right or left handed.When teaching anyone,insist on this as my father did me.(I believe a three foot "spread measured" net is the ideal size to learn on or teach a child or adult how to cast.)Once either hand is learned,you can swap at the slightest feeling of discomfort.I could cast steady without interruption for six hours this way when shrimping if I had someone along to row and do every thing else that was required.As a mechanic,I was conditioned to work like this.A desk job would not condition you for such.Roofing would.

Practice High!Learn to throw your net in a arc and it will give it more time to open.Also.Keep the net in motion.You are catching nothing when that net is motionless for what ever reason.The same goes for any useless motion.

I posted all of this as some younger members in coastal areas reading this may be considering shrimping with a cast net sometime in the future

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in my experience a nylon net will close less than a monofilament net over a long drop through the water. make sure it's dry before you roll it, or it will begin to rot.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Look at some previous threads on this. I have heard it doesn't work to well, but I haven't had any personal experience with it.

As far as cast nets, I have a 10' radius with 1.5lbs per foot. It sinks real fast. It does wear me out after a while though. Catch a good bit of shad in it.