Deep water temperatures on LKN

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jake Bussolini and myself went to the deep water to catfish this AM, but we found a lot of wind (15+ MPH) coming out of the SW, so we did a project that Jake wanted to do. We measured the water temperatures at different levels. As usual the surface temp. was 88 plus degree and at 105' of depth it was 66 plus degrees. At 60' depth in 100+ feet of water it was 79 degrees and at 40' of depth it in 100+ feet of water it was 84 degrees.

Of late we have been catching plenty of cats in the 35 to 45 foot level, which is in the 84 degree range. We are not sure, but it looked like the thermocline was around 50' in 100 foot water, which would indicate a water temp. of 81.5 degrees, taking the average of the 40 and 60 foot measurements.

We did observe that the bait, stripers and cats have moved away from the dam area and are now located close to Marker 1A, still at a depth of 40 feet, more or less.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This morning I mentioned that I had an author of fishing books going our with me this morning on Lake Norman. As soon as Jake got in the boat, he informed me that he had a proposition for me and that we would discuss it later during the trip. We tried to fish but the wind was blowing 15 MPH with gust of 20 or so, so we did a project he wanted to do. We measured the water temperatures at different depths in the 100 foot area.

After we accomplished that feat, he submitted his proposal to me. He wants me to co-author a catfish (ing) book and he will pick up the publication cost and after we sell 90 books, we will split the profit. Thats fine and dandy, but here is the good stuff. I will pick out three catfish guides on the East Coast and even further if I so desire and Jake will fly us to the fishing site and pick up the guide fee, meals and lodging. Methinks I may have died and gone to heaven upon hearing his proposal.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That is great Mac, Now your going to have to sign a copy of your first book and offer it as a BOC give away:wink:

4. crashman

crashman Guest

Mac, I think that is great and you guys will have an awesome book. I wish you guys the best of luck and I for sure will own a copy!

5. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Congradulations, If you co-author a book it will be a must read. I will pre order now. Just let me know where to send the check.