deep water fishing tip

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Arkansascatman777, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ever catch a cat from deep water and its belly was bloated looking and very firm? When a fish is in deep water the air in its swim bladder is compressed from all the pressure around the fish. When the fish is brought up quickly this compressed air expands as the pressure comes off of it and causes the fish to bloat. Normally a fish can equalize the pressure on is own as is rises, but not when pulled up quickly as often happens when we catch one. If possible try to bring the fish up slowly to let the fish release the trapped air on its own, you will see air bubbles coming to the top of the water as the fish releases this trapped air. A fish that is bloated like this can’t dive until the air is released either naturally, or with a little help and will struggle on the surface and could die. Sometimes a cat will burp on its own when a little gentle pressure is applied to its belly by a hand or when lying on the bottom of a boat. If not, a small pipe can be inserted gently down it's throat until the air is released. Be careful not to have your face in line with the pipe because often a little gift may come out along with the air. I use a ½ inch pvc pipe with the ends smoothed off for this.
    You will hear a lot of people say to stick them with a needle.. DONT DO THAT! IT WILL KILL THEM. They will swim away at first, but it inhibits their ability to properly swim and suspend and eventually leads to mortality.

Our last tournament we had to burp 3 of the fish we caught, most we brought up slow enough that the fish would release the pressure on its own. Just a little tip for people fishing deep water.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

Now he's taken up adult non-fiction writing!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh::wink: good advice though:wink:

3. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    I'm stuck here at work, whats your excuse? You should be skip fishing we got a tournament coming up :wink::smile2:.

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks!!! i just made a post asking people what is the deepest water they have caught a catfish in?? I only got 2 people to answer me back. Hey how would i know if the fish needs to be burp. The belly will be really big are tight.. Is that it??

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Too dam windy & cold....:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: turned into a "heater-Hugger"....cheaper too...:worship:

6. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas

Is that why, when you catch a crappie during the cold season. They make you keep it and not throw it back in?

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good advise Johnny. Thanks.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I met with the head Biologist for the Virginia Game Commission about a catfish tagging program and asked about burping. He told me not do it as you risk injuring the fish when you slip a tube down its throat. He said they eloctro-shock thousands of catfish every year from as deep as 90 feet and over 20 years he has never seen one die as a result of flopping around on top. After a short period of time, 100% will release the air on their own and swim back to their spots on the river bottom. This is true for fingerlings, eaters, and the giants. Catfish are as tough a fish as swims in the river.

I am not trying to be a smart alec but there is zero science that says burping is neccessary. Every year this comes up. Its an urban myth that they need burping. Please don't do it. It is not neccessary and you could injure the fish.

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Yes, when the belly is swelled and firm then they need to be burped.

10. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    I'm not a crappie man so I would have no idea, never heard of that though.

11. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Kenneth, thats the great thing about this site. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. A catfish is designed to swallow large baits whole so I really don't think a 1/2 inch pipe with the edges sanded smooth would ever injure a catfish. When we put one in the live well that needs burped it will also go belly up but as soon as you burp them they turn right side up and are imediately less stressed so why not help them along instead of making them struggle. This method works well for us and we will not only continue to do it but we will also pass this knowlege on to others every chance we get.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't think about the live well thing as I don't fish the contests. I do fish loads in the winter and spring but never in the summer. The deepest water I fish is 40 feet. All the ones I catch haul butt back to the bottom as soon as I release them,,,usually give me a little tail slap of water in the face as they go.

13. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good thread guys. When fishing deep, I pay attention to the fish to see if they are bloated. I try to relieve the pressure by pressing on the belly and usually they will burb with some coaxing. Like someone said, never stick a needle in them. This will cause the fish not to be able to control the swim bladder and not be able to control its depth. I beleive this would mean certain depth for the fish.

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the tip on cpr on deep water blues

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've caught fish in pretty deep water before 40-50ft. They will have bloated bellies sometimes but even those just take off.

Catfish don't have to have their swim bladder released, they've got a swim bladder that is connected to their gut so they can release and bring in air at the surface. They will be fine without burping and the thing about burping is that if you don't know what you're doing you're going to do way more harm than good. You're right they do eat big baits but they go down the way the fish wants them. You could really hurt them burping them.

I haven't had a lot of experience with ones in a livewell but one I caught out of 44ft of water was bloated and rolled over on it's back, I just tended to it kept him right and in just a little he was fine.

16. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My cats usually burp while holding them for a pic, since I put an arm under their belly for support they always let out the budlight burp lol. Dont put your face near them though it stinks so bad lmao

17. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats an awesome problem!!!!!!! But very true.:big_smile::big_smile:

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I burp all cats that are bloated. I have fished the same area for 8 hours straight on numerous occasions. And on different days. If I didnt burp one,it rolled on the surface for a long time. If I did,it dove for the depths.

19. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    as far as the blue cats the eater sizes, ive caught in deep water and they come up like a tornado with several circles, with the eyes bulging and red, but i would just keep those so i don't know how they go back down, as far as crappie goes in deep water, i would hold them in my hand pressing both gills closed, and shut there mouth at the same time for about 10 seconds and that would get rid of there benz and drop them in mouth down and they would go back down and not come up, i know that works i have seen several crappie that would just float back up if i didn't do that process

20. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Johnny, I fished with Jeff last December on Grand. We caught several fish out of about 50-70 feet of water. If I remember, he pressed down the back of the throat with a tube, finger or pliers to release the trapped air before releasing the fish back to the water
    I agree that deep water fish need to be burped. I think these "needle" people are the ones seeing people sticking needles or air pump needles under the scales of bass. That was a big movement back in the 80's on all the bass shows. I would never stick a needle down the throat of a catfish, as you would most likely be puncturing something, and leave a permanant hole in the fish........duh:tounge_out: