Deep V (new to me)

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    hey guys,
    I just bought an old 19' DEEP V boat. This boat would be much more at home on saltwater than here in my local lakes, but i was tired of worrying about swamping my bass boat on the winter swells.
    I attached a couple pics so check them out. Only thing i do not like is there is no livewell, but i guess i can keep the eating size fish in a cooler full of ice.

Attached Files:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new boat. That boat should take on some rough water and make you a great cat boat.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey man, I really like that. It will indeed be a great cat boat! Thanks for the pictures

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Nice boat James, the live well is a easy fix by getting a large cooler and a small areator pump, check out the library for some great ideas. next is the boat name.

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    thanks for the comments guys,
    There is no doubt, the boat has some ugly smeared on it. I am in the process of cleaning it up (buffing, waxing, and washing) to try and see all the bad spots on the boat. So far i see several spots that have been patched years ago. They are kinda yellow and feel "dry?" I was wondering if ya'll know any methods of painting these spots so that they will match rest of the boat.
    Also, do u guys know of any cheaper version of a Keel Guard?

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Wax,buff and wash? What are ya lookin to make? A chick maganet. LOL! Looks like a good boat indeed. Wish ya nothin but the best.

7. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, no just wanna know what i have before i get it lookin like a real cat boat.
    My first fiberglass boat and i am kind of scared of it. Dont know what to do to it or anything. I dont know if i can cut some of the floor out or not.
    THe cool part is i just found out that my old merc props will fit and are the right size for the 90 yamaha that is on the back.

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That boat of yours is exactly what I would like to have as a catter on the rivers. I hope you enjoy her. Personally, I would leave her the way she is. If you make it look to good it might not work right.:smile2:

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Besides all that waxing and buffing don't hold up to well to shad guts, carp blood, and catfish slime.....lol

10. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I learned that carpet doesnt hold up well either from my bass boat!!
    BTW guys the boat came prenamed "On Business"
    I don't know if it is right to rename a boat older than me, so i dont know if i will change the name.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post James... congrats on the new "used" boat... it'll take some time to fix it the way "you want" looks as though you've got a good shell and the makings of a great cattin craft.

bayrunner ray

12. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well guys,
    I took it out on sunday on Lake Waco. I had some troubles to start with. When i changed the impellor i missed the hookup that puts the lower unit "in gear" so i drifted to a bank and fixed that problem.
    My motor runs a little rough but not too terrible. The max RPM that it would get in forward was 4500, i do not know why it would not wind all the way out but i will take it to the shop and find out. My top end was 25mph loaded in rough water. The boat really handles well and rides smooth. We were out in 20mph winds with gusts to 30 and i felt as safe as could be. I did not get my teeth rattled loose and was able to drift fish without water coming over the boat.
    I am happy with the boat, maybe need something done with the motor. Do u guys think it might be too underpowered?

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I had the same problem with me 17' Deep V, the fix for me was changing the plugs (1 was fouled out) and a smaller prop. I went from around 4700RPM's to 5500-6000 and kicked up the mph from aroun 20-25 all the way up to around 30-35

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    chances are that it may be underpowered for the weight of the boat and type of prop that is on it.

You may need to go to a less aggressive prop or just a smaller one to get the rpm's up.

It is prolly really sucking down the fuel too if you are at WOT and can't get to max RPM's.

15. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    its not that it is at WOT it gets up to that point at 2/3 throttle. when i open it up past that it just boggs down and looses RPM. I think the timing needs adjusting or something.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    maybe get a flip flop seat behind the console to sit on w/ a big cooler & aerator pump for a decent livewell!!!!

17. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Get her looking too good and someone will think they want it more than you do.
    :embarassed:

18. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    James you've done great with your boat, I envy ya Ain't nothin like the bond between a boat and it's owner....'cept that b/w a man and his family and the lord himself.......... Boat's gonna serve ya well I just know it.... And you kin change the name of her ain't no bad luck in that...........Git 'er done your way.......................Congrats..............:smile2::still_dreaming:

19. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I'd keep the name.. Nothing like being able to tell everybody that your out on business and them not knowing that you're fishing... hehehe

20. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, ive done some work since on the boat in the last week. I've put on new FF, new captains chair. Working on the cleaning the interior and finding a leak. I dont know if there is a leak or a wave came over the back while unloading the boat. That is probable the case. Thanks again guys for all the comments.