Deep v Boats on larger rivers - Advantages and disadvantages on big rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mandingo, Feb 26, 2006.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have a 17ft deepv and mainly fish lakes and smaller rivers in kansas but was wanting to start fishing larger rivers like the MO this year.does anyone know any advantages or disadvantages of fishin out of a deepv vs. a flat bottom?i was probably gonna try fishin the river around st. joe or atchison to start off so if anyone has any helpful info about those stretches of river i would greatly appreciate it.thanks.and by the way,this website and everyone on it is awesome.im glad i found it

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't think there are any real disadvantage or advantages using a deep V. The only thing that I can think of is they sit deeper in the water. That should not matter though. I see plenty of them out there.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Caleb,
    I'm not real familiar with boats as I'm a bank fisherman. But I agree with Crazy on the Missouri you should be fine. I've been looking at alot of boats and am planning to get one soon. When I finally get one it will probably be a mod-ified v so that I can take it on both the Missouri and lower stretches of the Kansas river aswell.

I live in Atchison so if you every need a fishing partner to hit river here in Atchison or St Joe just give me a holler.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    you should be good to go. A few things to consider if you havent already.

1. Anchor position. drop your anchor off the bow so your pointed upstream, especially if the water is swift.
    2. Depth, Stay in the main channels until you've either aquired a map and/or then learned the territory. (don't run aground).
    3. Dams, It pretty tempting to get close at times. Keep your distance according to the guidlines set by your local DNR, State regs.
    Good luck
    Larry

5. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I will not have anything but a deep v. The ride is so much better than a flat or mod v

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Mandingo, I have a 18.5ft g3 deep v and I love it. They ride better, not as noisy, and safer. The only disadvantage is, it is not big enough. I will never have anything else. You should be just fine fishing big rivers, just pay attention to the current and any drift coming down the river while your anchored...

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I think you'll find it more efficient for going places when the waves are up. My 20' jon is really stable, but does not run the waves of the Mississippi very comfortably when the wind is blowing. I think I'll need a backup V bow!!! You'll do fine, but I do like the open style and low draft of a jon and mine has a very large front to walk around, throw a shad net, and operate the troll motor. I see the In-Fisherman guys using a V lund all the time and it works great for them!! Good Luck and you'll be fine (but may rock a bit more when the barges go past) Hannibal Mike

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I have a 20' modified V center console and it works great for me. I fish the Missouri and like the shallow draft. That being said, It is a rough rider when the waves are up!!! Either have to slow down or just grin and bare it!

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Deep-V disadvantages.
    Deeper draft.
    they rock incessantly depending on the degree of deadrise.
    Takes alot larger engines to get them on plane and keep them on plane ( more fuel).

Advantages

They ride better.

As Jerry Clower would say- Are we a fishin or are we a ridin' Marcelle?

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good Advice!! I have a 21 Modified V Center Console and I love the openness, and the ability to walk around the pilot station. Does make for a rough ride on strong southern wind days though.

11. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Itys still smoother than any other boat when the waves r up....LOL

Big disadvantage i find is i cannot access some areas i'd like to go because of sahallow water.Now if i had a flat bottom with a jet motor......I'd be a happy fishermen!

12. Trenton Makes

Trenton Makes New Member

I have a 19ft. Lund Sportman,it is a deep v bottom.Great riding boat.I fish the tidal Delaware River and at time this water get very bad.But this is when you want to fish and I feel safe at all times.I can take this boat in as little as 18in. of water, and I have a big Honda motor on the back.

If you are looking for the best big water boat and you can aford the price it is the boat to get.

Got to go to work now.

13. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks to everyone for the feedback.i didnt think i would have much of a prob but just wanted to make sure.thanks for all the tips about the river also:)

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    very good information you guys