Deep Thoughts

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jun 14, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We all come to this site because we love to fish especially for catfish. There are many ideas that we foster, but has anyone ever delved deeper into these ideas? For one big bait equals a big fish, the world record flathead was caught on a minnow by a man crappie fishing (I personally think that the story is a bunch of horse crap!). Your standard crappie minnow is about two inches long, why would a monster catfish bother with a two inch minnow? I am a subscriber to the big bait theory, hell there are guys on this site who will use a one pound carp for bait or chunks of cut bait as big as the palm of your hand. Let's take a large flathead catfish around 60-70 pounds, a trophy fish by any means, how did he get so big? First he started life out as an egg in a hole on the bank or in a log or even some manmade structure, then once he has hatched along with his 20,000 or so siblings, he has to start eating. At such a small size he pretty close to the bottom of the food chain, a hungry bass, large bluegil, pickerel, or even another catfish, so he has to hide alot hence the camo pattern that all flatheads have, so the little guy gets a little bigger and can start to eat small minnows and crawfish, but he still has to watch his back for the other hungry fish. Fast forward a year or two, our little flathead is not so little any more, he is eating whole shad, and the occasional bluegil with a crawfish for variety, he has gotten comfortable in his environment for the most part, still has to watch his back every now and again. Jump a couple more years ahead and he is pushing 10 pounds and most fish fear him because he has made his way up the food chain, still not quite at the top, but getting very close. Once he starts getting around 20+ pounds he has attained "apex" status on the food chain and has very little chance of being eaten by another fish, he has raised quite a few broods of his own now, evaded the frying pan multiple and has the battle scars to prove it. Now that our "little" flathead has grown up his lifestyle changes, he prowls the sand flats at night and seeks structure by day, his appitite has grown along with him and for him to keep growing he must exert the least amout of energy and get the maximum amount of food, hence the big bait theory. Even though not every flathead is destined to become a trophy due to genetics or the size of the enclosure, those that make it to apex predator status be it a 15 pounder or a 123 pounder, they all had to struggle to get where they are and win every battle they encountered be it rod and reel, noodlers, other fish, that little flathead had to dominate his environment. Just a little thought for you to ponder the next time you are on the water and you catch a flathead, be it a dink or a trophy.

Aaron (who sometimes thinks too much)

TA2D

2. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I think you've caught the same thing I have.....A reverance for nature.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah I have quite a bit of respect for nature, it can be so peaceful when you are out there alone at night listening to the sounds of what is around you!

Aaron (who is NOT a tree-hugging hippie)

TA2D

4. busadave

busadave New Member

State:
    ky
    nature is good if

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    wow, that was deep. Never thought of that before.

-Red