Deep spots on the Colorado? (Yuma area)

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Flatheadhunter33, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    my buddy and I are gonna try to learn how to catfish from a boat this year. We're looking to spend some time out on the river. Right now we just have the basics (no fish finder, trolling motor etc..). Do any of you guys know what the depths are in the river just south of Martinez Lake area down to the Imperial Dam crest area? (please forgive me if Im off on the area names, Im still learning that too:roll_eyes:).

2. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dameon,

I can't help you with water depths that far south, but from Havasu down to Palo Verde area the water depth ranges mostly from 3 feet to 12 feet...depending on how strong the water release is.

As far as navigating the water, you just have to experiment with it a little bit. Most areas on the Colorado where the water is shallower contain sand bars. If you go slow, you will get used to where they are located. The best fishing that we have found are areas downstream from a bend where the slow and faster currents meet. It is usually in these sections where you will find a drop-off or deeper hole.

There have been some areas around Blythe where you do run into sand bars, but so long as you are not going super fast, you can usually stop in time to float off of them and without affecting the motor.

Sorry I could not be more help for the area you are looking for.

Ryan

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Watch the sandbars theres a deep spot right out of the three way at lake martinez by the cliff edge theres usually a sandbar right next to it. Its when you come out of lake martinez heading to the colorado and it will be there on your left by the houses fish right next to the cliff and have some good size sinkers around 3 oz would be my guess right now at that spot. thats the deepest spot I know besides fishing right on top of imperial dam.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dameon.... You or the buddy need to get something to check the depth with.... :wink:

As far as deep holes, up the river from Martinez, the big rock on the left 1 mile has 30-40 feet of water, but the average water getting there is 3-6 feet deep. Just up from Martinez on the Az side is some 12ft water.....

Just down river from Martinez is some 12-15 ft water in the first 1/2 mile. "got to get the depth finder"..... Right out in front of Squaw Lake is a 35ft hole but it is hard to fish and I have had no luck on it....

With all the time on the lower river down from blythe, lets say the last 50 miles, the deepest I have seen is 45ft....:0a18:

Down by Imperial, the water is mostly shallow....but some 12ft holes if you are lucky..... I think the key to success down there is get moving water for the flatheads....

You need to get out and do it....... Bayrunner Ray:0a17:

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks guys. I got out there today and got skunked for the 2nd straight time. We entered the water by Imperial Dam where Senator's Wash is on the other side. We found some good spots that should be good in the warmer weather months. I even fished right near the dam crest (thinking the fish might be in deeper water). No luck at all. I am talking to my buddy about just chipping in on a finder to see if it gives us better luck. As of yet, the score sits at: Colorado River 2 / FH33 0!:crazy:

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Dameon, You have to spend a little cash on a depth finder, man.
    You can get one that will read depth for around $100.00.
    They may not read the fish very well but they can find the bottom. For fishing the river trade off sensitivity for a larger screen, you'll be happier with it. You don't need one that reads 1200 ft. depth.
    I have a little portable Fishing Buddy with side finder that I bought to use on my little inflatable pontoon. I ordered it from Wally World on line for $135. and it works just fine. Will even show fish out to the side or behind the boat. I take it with me when I rent boats and just hang it off the back. Some place I have another portable Hummingbird with a stick on transponder but I was never happy with that system.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey Hawkins, i can take you up and show you a few good places on the river with some good deep holes. i dont know how deep the water is right now, but these holes are always pretty good for a few fish.

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds good to me Joe. I think that you might know my fishing buddy. He's the one with the pontoon. I'll pm ya with some info.

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Me and a buddy fished a hole south of the entrance to squaw last season with no luck. Water was 35 to 40 feet deep. Looked real fishsy to us but the flatheads weren't impressed. Current was real strong in the area. My personal opinion is you might have better luck just off the main current but I dunno. Tight lines.

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i fished betty's kitchen and mittry today. zip for me. the wind was up to 20 mph or more, and fish had lockjaw. but still spent 6 hrs out there enjoying being on water. let the boat get wet and (back to normal size again. LOL) gonna try the river soon if my folks don't call me to come back up to idaho.
    damien, i feel i owe you a trip, so let me know your days off. you too joey.
    gary

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary, might be at Glamis weekend after this.....,15, 16.... sight fishing for channels....can get you a ride from the camp to the canal .......4 wheels so you don't have to wory about falling off....its only 100 miles from Yuma... might could find a bed "inside" the RV... other old farts, so you'd feel at home....

Could be a "bigen" in there..... sure tasted good last time......

bayrunner ray

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    maybe 100 miles round trip. LOL. keep me informed. last time i tried to find someone at glamis, took me 1/2 a day
    gary

13. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    hey gary i am going to phoenix on saturday to pick up a boat. its an older trihull with a 70 horse evenrude on the back, but the old guy i am buying it from has had it for 20 years and took good care of it. all it needs is a new impellar. i have an appointment to get it fixed next week, so by next weekend it should be ready to rock. all it will cost me (including repairs) is 600 bucks. so let me know when you would liek to go out, i will be there.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    finally found a way to get around the fishing out of the ski boat problem i see. :smile2:. since i'm back in town now, starting to have most of days free again. just give me a call when your ready.
    gary

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    How's it going fellas? Im planning to get some time on the water this weekend if the wind dies down. Supposed to get up to the mid 80's by Sunday. Im on the rifle range this week and next so I will get off early tomorrow and go look for some 'gills to use. If anyones going to do some night fishing let me know, maybe I'll see you out there?

16. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i dont think i am going to make it this weekend, but i will more than likely be out there next weekend, testing out the new old boat. let me know if you would like to go out.

17. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'll be sure to get in touch with ya bro!

18. sarcdoc

sarcdoc New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Gary and I will be going tonight for some flatties. We will let you all know if we catch anything. Thanks Gary for hooking me up with this site. I am liking it so far.

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Bill, glad to see you found it. thought you'd like the site. look around and enjoy. see ya in another hr or so at squaw.
    gary