Deep or shallow

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, May 12, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    When looking at a lake on a day with some wind are the calm areas deeper water / holes ? If so would the dropoffs be likley spots for fish day or nights?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, it's much harder to read the surface of a lake than the surface of a river. I can sometimes spot a sandbar by wave action, but if we're talking about spotting a place where the water depth changes from say, 5' to 25' by wave action, I wouldn't even bother to attempt it. And trying to determine anything about water depth when the wind is causing ripples on some of the water, but not on other parts of the surface doesn't tell anything because wind doesn't blow evenly. Now, wind can sometimes blow the plankton into certain coves and shorelines where the concentrated micro-bait attracts baitfish, which attracts predator fish, but that doesn't have anything to do with water depth.

If you can get to a high point above the water surface, you can sometimes tell water depth by its color. This works better when the water is clear, rather than muddy, of course.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks Jerry , if I can get the vantage point , is the deeper water a darker color ?
    Brian

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It is hard to just look at the water and tell if its deeper. You will need the help of a depth finder. Reason why I say this is because there can be many factors that cause calm water like trees, moutains or hills that can cause a wind breakage. In open lake area, I see the wind blowing in shallow and deep areas and it all looks the same basically.

Anyhow for teh drop offs areas that is always a good place to concentrate your bait at.