Deep or Shallow?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Petsche, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know there are a lot of variables to this question but what depth of water do you usually target? Deep, shallow, transition zones?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, welcome to the BOC Petsche!! Nice to see another Nebraska member aboard!!

To answer the question, I like finding pockets or holes in a lake or river. If you have a locater, look for instance water 12-15' deep and suddenly a hole that shows 20' deep. A hint is to look for straight lines or fish echos on the locater. I was told the straight lines are the catfish. More or an arch shows walleye, white bass and the such.

Right now I look for water that's around the 12-15' range and shallower water at night, even to only 3' deep. Reason, because the catfish come into the shallow water at night to feed! Just have to experiment and ask around for some advice on where to find them on the specific water your fishing.

Hope this helps and ask away for some more advice!!

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcomer t the Boc.I usaly fish the shallow water near deep drops andbig hole or bends in the river.

4. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the advice.
    I grew up fishing small rivers. It was so much easier to find fish in those small rivers compared to the reservoirs around Lincoln, at least for me.

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Yeah I fished in a tourney last week where I was fishing in 12 to 23 foot water. Since it was a day tourney I figured that was the way to go. Well we caught just one little cat the kids had fun tho, and the tourney was for the optimist.
    At the end of the day after riding 7 foot swells into the boat ramp found out the fish were biting like crazy. Except it was in 4 ft of water. Go figure right. Search around 30 minutes no bites and it's time to move.

6. broncofan68701

broncofan68701 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have good luck fishing shallow areas around logs and such

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    myself i love the shallows!! thats where they eat supper!! shane

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Why were the cats in the shallow? Because the wind made them move into the shallow water. Something to consider next time when the wind is hollowin'!!:wink:

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Yeah I'm not so sure about that but everything being caught at enders is being caught in the shallows also. the only thing deep is the walleyes.