Deep or shallow for night river flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dano40, Jun 1, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Which is better for fishing a river at night for flathead catfish deep or shallow areas of the river?

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    well thats a broad topic. i have cuaght them deep in the water around a single log submerged in water adn i have cuaght them close to the sandbar feeding on crawfish . u could actually see them tails swim thru the water pretty cool

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I always fish around the channel side around cover. You know how a lot of the time the river bottom will be mostly flat all the way accross except for a bit deeper channel along one bank? That's where I like to fish. While it's deeper than the shallow side, it's still not all that deep. Usually I am fishing 8 to 12 feet deep.

I'm very interested to hear what others have to say. I always wonder if I should be fishing up in the shallower areas...

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I throw some baits deep and at least one close to shore. I have caught some nice flatties close to the shore over the years.

5. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    As someone said it depends, but find the cover and or the baitfish and you have won half the battle. I have seen a few flatties at night on top of submerged rocks swimming around in less than two feet of water!

6. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    so far mine have all came from 3-8 feet of water were a creek runs into the river with a big log jam.

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I would try and cover both if possible. Thou I would put my best bait on the flats or shallow side. The flats seem to like to come up to shallow water and hunt for unsupecting bluegill and carp. So I have caught more on the shallow or flats. But always seem to put a good run or two out of the deeper holes as well.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I always put rods out shallow and deep, they prefer different depths different nights it seems.
    Chip

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I fish a relatively shallow river average depth is 7 to 9 ft. With a 15 foot hole every now and then. I fished the holes religously for 4 years and only caught 2 flats over 30lbs. I fished the core the head and the tail. most fish came from the head. When I switched to the bank I started catching more large fish. I'm talking about 1 to 3 ft of water around logs or some type of wood. I know it seems strange to get into a boat and cast back to shore but thats where they prowl. The only places I catch them deep with regularity is under lowhead dams. But that isn't an every time thing. If I don't get hit in 2 or 3 hours they just ain't in there. I have seen and heard from guys around here that big flats do travel the center of the river but that is real hit and miss. I still cast one bait towards the middle but I concentrate on the bank.

10. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    I spread my baits out from deep to shallow. Rocks,Logjams, and creek mouths. I just keep trying and wishing and wondering where the next run is coming from.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

ill second that mark!

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess in a way it's really 2 questions. Depth and distance from shore.

I likew spots where the bit of channel, and therefore the deeper water, are right on the bank. Even so, some of my best fish have come from a bait thrown out toward midriver, just out on the sand.

13. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    I have been catching most of my flatties in 1 to 5 ft of water around alot of trees on the yadkin river i have found a spot where the channel is 11 ft deep but off the sides of it it is only a ft to 3 ft deep. also the water is up right now so more than likely it wouldbe dry ground when it starts dropping

14. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I usually fish between 7 to 20 ft