Deep hooked .

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by lance, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you have a deep hooked fish that is bleeding what do you do ? It is a poll of sorts . If it is not gonna make it whether it is a sub-legal bass or a trophy cat I would and have kept them because I don't wanna see it wasted . Just my thoughts what about yours ? I do know and use circles so its usually not an issue just curious .

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    if its bleeding from gills i'd keep it cause i believe it would surely die (we don't want to waste them) bleeding from somewhere else i'd put it back and take my chances.just my opinon.:wink:

3. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i always throw them back its 50/50... they deserve that chance

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From the gills he becomes an eater anything else I cut the line as close as possible and leave the hook in and release. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have always kept anything that has bled that can be used for bait, if it is something that someone will eat, I usually ask around if anybody wants it if I see they are keeping fish anyways.

Otherwise, everything I catch goes back after a picture or 2 is taken.

If something I catch has the hook deep, I usually cut the line and let them keep the hook, if it is something that is down where I cant get out and I think it might be a problem and they arent bleeding, I will actually cut the hook and get most of it out, or cut it and take it out thru the skin so it isnt in there.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too...Eat it if its a catfish, anything else gets chunked up for bait.:roll_eyes:

7. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I'm with bedbug on this one. I cut the line as close as I can and let 'em go with the hook. I don't usually keep anything, C&R only. At least they have a chance, and if not, they're really not wasted. Fish and birds will have some dinner. I was also told by someone before that a hook will eventually dissolve away. Something to do with combination of the acid that fish carry and the water will dissolve most hooks.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky

Yes they do have an acid that will dissolve hooks . Not true with turtles but I ain't talking turtles:wink: . All great answers glad to have the feedback !

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have to say it is good to see so many fisherman with simular views to my own. personally i don't keep hardly anything i give almost all of them a chance...

a really close friend and fishing buddy of mine and i were talking about this issue a while back. he told me a story about a muskie that he gill hooked and he said that he could see that one of the gills had been ripped almost completely out. he said that he had read something on this topic not very long before this catch. he let the fish go only to catch a muskie about a year later that had a gill on the same side torn similar to the fish he caught. not to say that was 100% the same fish. Chances are it was though. same stream same hole. moral to this long story that gives me hope that they will live anyway. we all know cats are much hardier fish then muskie so ill leave the rest to you.