deep fried pork roast

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Bayoubear, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    turned out great if i do say so myself. injected a 13 lb. pork shoulder full of beer and spices. deep fried it like a turkey. removed the bit of skin from around the shank and made cracklins out of that too. yummmmy

didnt cook it quite as hot as a turkey, around 250 for about an hour till internal temp hit 160 degrees. cranked up the heat the last ten minutes or so just to get the outside of it all nice and crusty.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds great Chad. Need to try it sometime. Does it try to boil the grease over with beer in it?

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:

no, i only used a little over half a beer. just like when frying a turkey.... measure the correct amount of oil you will need with the roast still in the plastic wrapper. (put it in pot, add enough water to cover, amount of water is amount of oil to use)..... lower the roast into the hot oil very s.l.o.w.l.y.... 90 percent of all my injection marinades are wine or beer based so i guess it acted 'normal' to me.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya caught my attention, deep fried hog. Aint nothing better than corn tortillas, fried hog and guacamole with hot sauce. OLAY!

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Im :dribble: right now! Gotta try that!

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    thanks gunnu try it :big_smile::cool2:

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Chad. Gonna have to try that out for the wife. I like new ways and things to cook.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'd like to try one of those. Sounds real good. I fried a venison roast that way once, and it turned out really good too, just had a little crust on the outside, but inside was still juicy and tender.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wouldn't having the grease real hot at first to put the crust on at the beginning seal the juices in better? Inquiring minds want to know. :004:

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    i guess you could high heat first but 1. the moisture would react more to the oil and 2. cooks longer than a turkey- dont want the outside burnt before inside cooks.

the recipe i adapted this from is for "carnitas" which is essentially pork roast cooked for several hours in oil around 200 to 225 degrees.
    it was cold outside and i didnt want to babysit my fryer that long. LOL we pulled the pork and ate it in corn tortillas with cilantro, onions, and a touch of homemade tomatillo salsa. squeeze a bit of lime over it and youve got yourself a REAL taco. (notice i typed corn tortillas, not those wannabe crunchy corn taco shells from kmart)

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've theatened to do that but never tried it before. I've also wanted to try a ham, have you ever tried deep frying a ham?

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My daughter's significant other cooked supper last night. Hawaiian style pork with a little Arkansas modification. He cut up a Boston butt roast, added some Hawaiian type spices, wrapped the meat in collard green leaves, with a couple of pieces in each bundle. Then he wrapped each bundle in foil, steamed it all Monday afternoon, put it in the fridge overnight, then steamed it a couple or three more hours just before supper last night. Good stuff! He used the collard greens because he couldn't get the Hawaiian leaves he used to use.

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    In the Philippines they have a dish called crispy pata( deep fried pig foot&hock) It was very good, i always try to have one when i am there.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Wow, you get to go to the Philippines Ray? That's :cool2:.

Guess the only Phillipino dish I've had is soba. Back in the 60s, my aunt had a close friend who was Phillipino.

This thread is making me ask for suggestions regarding beef brisket though. I always smoke it, but am wondering what other options are available.

Don't know if I'd want to deep fry a HAM Johnny.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds real good Chad, might try it sometime. I have heard of folks deep frying whole prime rib roast also before, but I haven't been brave enough to risk screwin up such an expensive cut. But suppose to be great.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Mike unless you seen it i would not belive it!!!!!! Prime rib is just that Prime and best done on the rotesseri<sp or done under ground in a pit for hour's or on a smoker!!!!

17. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    ive had a deep fried ribeye before and it was AWESOME however i would think a whole prime rib would be pointless.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sounds good chad. i had some deep fried bacon ends a year ago. they were good. talk about a fat explosion lmao.

nice out today. firing up my uds (ugly drum smoker) smoker soon.