Deep Freezer Bait Tank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by e5catfish, Jun 17, 2007.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Does anyone have any experience with using a chest type deep freezer for a home bait tank? If so, these questions come to mind before I run out and buy one:

1. Will it hold water? The ones I've looked at look like they have a seam in it. Is this a leak point or does it have to be siliconed?

2. Since a deep freeze is supposed to keep things frozen, will it come up in temperature to keep the water in the 60's?

I currently have my bait barrel in an air conditioned building with a copper coil extended from the air conditioner into the water to try and keep it cool. The problem is that my electric bill jumped up 20 or 25 dollars last month! Maybe a small chest type freezer would be the best way to go since it's already designed to keep things cold and is already set up with insulation and a self contained container.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have just started a bait tank out of an old working chest freezer I had put back. It was doing well till tonight and it seems I may have too much bait in there and too little filtration. Currently I have 10 bluegill, 7 shad and 8 mooneye in it and they seem to have started suffering after I added 6 mooneye tonight. I can tell you that set right the thermostat should be able to hold the water at any desired temperature. Vern

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    A guy that I go fishing with has one. It is a old deep freeze and has no seams in it at all. Yes, I think one with seams in it will work. Go to a local "pet store" ask for caulking that is used for fish tanks. The stuff you get at Ace/Wal Marts is not safe for the fish!!!

Ours is in a garage the temp has never been a problem with us, we use bait like bullheads & gills, shad would probably die. We have kept as many as 100 gills in this tanks for days. It is a time saver for fishing!!

While at the pet sore there are a lot of products sold there that can make your tank very good. Get a big outside filter to hang on the tank & we use powerheads for circulations and air introduction. I have had fish tanks all my life and running a bait tank is very similar. Change some water at least once a week!!!

Good luck.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Probably not, but you can buy an external temperature controller that will do what you want.

This is an example of one such device: http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=18114&cat=778&page=1

I'm sure there are other similar gizmos available.

5. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Thanks guys for the replies. I printed off a copy of the temperature controller in case I need to go that route. You may have the same problem I've had trying to keep bait in my barell: overcrowding, ammonia poisoning, and not enough aeration. According to biologist Joey Williams at SouthernAquacultureSupply.com, I needed better aeration and a product called ClorAm-X which kills chlorine and any ammonia spikes because of over crowding. He's a consultant for all the major minnow farms in the south.

VLParrish: There was a Marine in my unit at Fort Knox named Parrish, any relation?

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bobby, maybe distant relation. One of my three brothers and I were in the Army. I don't have many close relatives that carry the name, there were alot of girls in the family. Vern

7. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i have a 15 cubic foot chest freezer with an ajustable thermostat i too a thin peice of plexi glass and put in side to help round the edges shad wont live well if there are corner i also plumbed a pond pump with a ventury the pump handles a large carbon filter in the bottom also handles all current issues be carefull though pond pumps create alot of heat so mine is in a five gallon bucket outside of the chest so ti doesnt heat the water inside the chest i also run to to hose aerators rated for 60 gallons i can hold 30 6 to 10 inch shad for a week as long as i baby sit ammonia is always a problem if you leave bait in with good filter the bacteria will build and the water will stablize

8. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I also suspect my pond pump in the barell may be heating it up 5 degrees or so. I've been keeping some bait in it to keep my bio filter going too.