Deep fast moving water!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I recently went out with a friend on the lower colorado river here in Blythe Ca. I was very surprised to find that he went to a place where the water was 28 foot deep and the point created a very fast current. We had flathead bites all night and brought in 4 small 2-12 pound flatheads. I have always fished the backwaters near tullies and such as that is the popular thinking. I was very surprised by the decent bite we got. Anybody else ever heard of targeting these areas I understand they might hide/sleep in these areas but I figured they all moved to the shallow (blugill prime) areas to feed.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What I have see on the Ohio River in NE Ohio is that if u r gettin the small ones...."TIME TO MOVE"!!!!!!!!!

:cool2:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I read an interesting article awhile back about targeting Flatties strictly in currents. The guy skips the typical flathead snags, and concentrates primarily on currents, boils, etc....I'll have to see if I can dig it up...

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The flatheads in Ca are like the ones in eastern PA, they are non-native. In the river I fish, there is no logsjams or woody cover for them so they take cover around the huge boulders that are on the bottom of the river. They also love the boils below low-head dams. Flatheads adapt to thier new situation and act in weird ways.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    all of the flatheads i catch on this side of the colorado (the AZ side) have been caught in current. i havent caught but a couple in slack water.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yeah I have started moving around looking for the bigger ones going to hit a backwater that I know for a fact produces large Flats tonight. Last night I did another 12 pdr still trying to break 20.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Let me know about that article subnet it sounds neat.