Deep cycle battery longevity.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by joecatfish, Feb 12, 2007.

1. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Does anyone know of a way to calculate approximate battery charge life of a deep cycle battery?

I have a 115 AmpHour, 12 Volt deep cycle battery, and run a Minn-Koda Endura 30, and a Humminbird PirahnaMax 20 pretty close to constantly off it, pushing a 12 foot Sears aluminum GameFisher row boat. I have been out for a little over 3 hours, and it seemed to be still running strong. Just don't want to get like 5 miles from the ramp, and have to row back.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just look at your battery and it will give you reserve capacicty ie 160 min.That is how long that battery will sustain a 25 amp draw continously.Then you need to know how many amps your stuff is pulling which should also be available with the equipment.:smile2:

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you, Sir. Pretty simple.
    Joe.

4. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    How far (1/2, 3/4, full drain, etc...) can you regularly drain the battery without damaging it?

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    All the way, just make sure to charge it right back up.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    That's the beauty of the deep cycle, it's made to run down, then up.
    :smile2:

7. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you both. I thought thiswas the case, but someone told me that discharging it completely will drastically shorten it's life, and immediately affect it's ability to take a full charge. can't see how useful a deep cycle battery would be if you could only discharge it 1/2 way. Useful trolling time on a battery is finite, even going to full discharge.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The truth is discharging it completely will use up one complete cycle.If a battery has a projected life of 300 cycles ,which is good not outstanding,every time you fully discharge it that uses one cycle.So it is true you are shortening its life considerably with each full discharge as opposed to a 1/2 discharge.A full discharge wont effect its ability to take a charge for the most part.Lots of "Urban Legends" are passed on as truths about batteries and other things.The worst thing you can do is not recharge immediately because that causes sulfation to build up on the plates, which is normally what really kills a battery.when I say immediately I mean as soon as you can get it on the charger.In truth not many folks really completely discharge their batteries during use.:smile2:

9. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you again, Jim. Guess it might have been better had I been able to ask these questions before purchasing. I got the trolling motor as a gift, and already had a fishing trip lined up, so I just got the biggest deep cycle battery I could afford (EverStart Deep Cycle 115 Amp Hours).
    I think I have a fairly good understanding of what I have, and what I need, now.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would recommend to everyone that owns a boat to send off for the West Marine catalog.First it has everything you could ever possibly need but best of all in each section ie batteries,chargers,fishfinders etc there is a complete explanation of each item.For instance on batteries it discusses the various types, their advantages /disadvantages,explains everything about batteries ie amp hrs ,minutes of reserve time,charge rates,etc etc etc.EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about batteries and its free.Same thing with the other stuff.:lol: :smile2:pS I DON"T have anything to do with West MArine but that catalog is one of the most informative ,useful catalogs ever put together.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    West Marine is a good company to deal with, I've been buying from them for years and if you want to know about something thats not explaned in there catalog you just have to call them. On some things they're more reasonable in price then Cabela's and carry a lot more stuff and as for batteries, I like to get the largest capacity battery I can find for any application because its easier on the battery and they last longer.

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    To make my batteries last longer, I went to auto parts and bought a jug of battery acid. Like they use to fill new batteries. I use this to replenish the batteries when they get low. Otherwise use distilled water.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've filled, charged and sold batteries most of my life, and everything I've ever read said do not add acid after the initial fill and charge. You're only supposed to add distilled water.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Same here Doug.I heard it was dangerous and could cause a chemical reaction.

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Bring an extra battery with you on your next trip. This way, when you run the primary battery all the way down, you'll have backup power to get you back in, and you'll know for sure how long the primary battery will last from a full charge (for future trips).

16. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I haven't had any trouble and been doing it for about 18 years.
    I have had 3 batteries in my bass boats and fished tournaments a couple times a month and pre fished about three times a week.
    I sure wouldn't want anyone to get a chemical reaction and a battery blow up. SO everyone disregard my earlier post.

17. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you, all. I have a much better understanding of what I am dealing with now. Ordered the West Marine catalog, and I will buy another battery whenever the money is there for it.
    Joe

18. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I dont have a way to calculate but i have ran a cheap wal-mart trolling batterty on a 16ft river boat with depth finder and live well for over 7 hours. When i got it back home and charged it my charger said it was about 40 percent.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I was looking at a Basspro thread which keyed up my memory on this item.I received a Basspro gift card for Xmas and have been saving it for my next visit during which I intend to purchase 2 sets of BATTERYLASTs.These are sets of gel globs that go under each corner of your batteries.One of the biggest enemies of all types of batteries deployed in boats is vibration.I fish Santee a lot and pounding across those waves definitely shakes things up even if the batteries are totally secured.Vibration shakes the plates loose causing internal damage and shorts.These little gel globes reduce vibration to virtually nothing using the same principal as the gel soles for shoes."Are you Gellin?" I will be soon!!!! Cabelas also carries them and they are 12$ a set.:lol: :smile2:

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Battery makers say not to put acid in a battery after you start using it. I believe they say this because they can not sell you a battery as often. I have used acid all my life in used batteries. The only danger I look for is if you have a cracked case the leaking acid can be a problem. I always wear eye protection when adding acid. I haven't done this for some time as I now use closed cell batteries. For deep cycle use like trolling motors I use gel cells that are designed for electric wheelchairs. I have used nothing that can beat them but they are costly.

Danny