Deep Cycle Batteries

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Puddycat, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    Does anyone know if it is possible to recharge a dead deep cycle battery? If so what is the best way? I have had my deep cycle battery hooked up to the recharger for 24 hours and it never charges anymore than 40%. At first I thought it was my charger with the problem, but one night out on the water confirmed it was the battery. Any suggestions?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Check your water level.. Also, if its sat for some time dead, good chance the Batt is toast...

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Generally it isn't possible to bring back a battery that has been dead for a while.If it isn't a dead cell or electrical short then most likely the plates are sulfated or clogged.You can buy a bottle of the Minn Kota battery liquid at Walmart in the boat section.Small bottle 12ozs and add 2 ozs to each cell.This will help de sulphate the plates and MAY bring it back to life.You can also do the same thing with a Solargizer charger which sends short pulses through the plates knocking the sulphates off.Try the liquid and put it on charge.See what happens but no guarantees offered.What kind of charger do you have and what kind of battery is it?Deep Cycles MUST be re charged immediately after every use or the sulphation process starts.:smile2:

4. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I usually don't get bout about 2, maybe 3 good years out of a deep cycle battery so it might just be dead.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Learned this old trick from an old guy here in Arkansas. Get some St. Joseph aspirin (I suppose any would do but that is what he uses) and take off the caps and drop 2 down into each cell. Will liven up a dead battery. I've done it on cars and trucks. I did it with my last bass boat before winter and had the same batteries in it for 7 years and was still going strong when I sold the boat 2 years ago. Do the same with this boat I've got now too. Bottle of aspirin is pretty cheap compared to the cost of a new deep cycle battery even at Wally World costs.

6. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I didn't think the average stereo would draw that much. I have been thinking about installing one myself.
    I have left the one in my truck on all night before and didn't have a problem cranking it but I expect it is better safe than sorry.

Oh, I can crank my 120 by coiling a rope around the fly-wheel if I have to, don't ask me how I know, just remember to switch the key on :)

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    When Adding Any Water, If Need Be, ALWAYS Use Distilled Water. The Minerals In Any Other Type Of Water Will Cause Sulphation Also.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok, 1st you will need a charger that will put out 50 amps... Then hook charger up to battery for 6 to 8 hrs... that will knock the sulfation off the plates.. don't add water till after you do this or it will just boil over... then use battery till its dead again... You may have to do this 2 or 3 times.. If it doesn;t get any better, then you need to replace battery.... I work on batteries for a living, thats how I know this... good luck...