Deep Bottom Sunday?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by caveman, Nov 1, 2008.

1. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i'll be at DB around 7am tomorrow, i'll be by myself until around 12 or so. wife and kid coming then.

wondering if anyone wants to team up and get bait?

the gill net is torture by yourself, for me anyhow.

call me at 804-335-6500

thanks
    vaughn

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good luck Vaughan. Was just there yesterday. I'll catch you another time.

We spent 3 hours for 1 stinking shad in DB. Met some guys running two pretty long gill nets, and they had a dozen to show for 5 hours of work.

I hope you have better luck.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's tough on the Shad. Well,,,,did you catch Jaws?

4. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got to DB at about 10 yesterday..(after having a flat on the boat trailer without my spare).. soaked the net for about 10 minutes and had 6 big cutters. Threw the cast net while waithing and caught a bunch of small ones.. Lots and lots of small bait..but that works too.

Ended up catching many small fish 5-10 pounds. Jeff (freshbaitrules) landed a couple of nice fish with one citation.

Just before leaving I had a pulldown and brought in a 52 pounder. Jeff will post pictures tonight. Beside the flat tire it was a great day on the water.

Have two new tires on the trailer now and a fully functional spare.

5. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the bait report guys I am coming down saturday and will most likely put my net in saturday evening to get bait for sunday at DB.Don't want to spend my first day looking for bait.Thank for the fishing report to looks like the big girls are biting better with the water cooling.See ya on the water Jerry

6. jonsgmc

jonsgmc New Member

State:
    ohio
    just wondering what the water temp was this weekend?

7. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    temp. 55-60 deg.

bait was tough, didn't get to fish much

10lbs, 21 lbs. that's all.

vaughn

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Tough one Vaughan, better luck next time. Powhatan - congrats on the brute!

Me and Jerry (JustLearning) caught a bunch 10-25 lbs, around 10 fish total. Jerry got the big one of the night with a 43. Approached at the ramp by a fellow looking for a set of 100 lb scales. I had a set, and had the pleasure of weighing a 73.5 for him. First time on the river for the guy who caught it.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    No rules against it but I hope the first timer released the biggun.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    It was released...but it was in bad shape. It was driven around alot out of water and handled a bunch before being put back. Hope it made it.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Unfortunate but I think when a fish stays out of the water after a long fight on rod and reel, She has a good chance of dieing. Too bad as that's one you and I will never catch and that fish will never pass on those good genes again.

If you don't have scales or scales not big enough. Take a picture and turn em loose.

12. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    If you don't have a real livewell you need to let them go. I have one and have never lost a fish. Even roping a fish is hard on them. Just my 2 cents

13. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I agree, Too bad. These big fish are priceless when it comes to a renewable resource in our rivers and resiviors. Just wish more folks were educated in the handling of big fish. And your right if your not equiped take a picture use a reference, something to show its relative size, then release it. Post a picture here. I venture to say most folks will be able to come close to the fishes weight, anmd the best part the fish get to live. What a shame.

14. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Also good to have a big net to get the weight of big cats,I just weigh them in the net grab them out take a piture and back in the water.Don't stress the fish by hooking the jaw and a chance of droping the fish.It would be a sham if that fish did not make it.I have seen the same thing happen with people who don't know how to handle muskie up north here.Think they can bounce them around the boat for twenty min and then release them belly up.

15. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    josh, it wasn't that bad. my 6 yr. old hooked the 21lber, i had to help her out though!

[​IMG]

vaughn

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great picture of your little girl!