Decoys

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DIESELkat, Aug 24, 2008.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    What brand of decoys do you use and how many do you own?

As for goose decoys, I use Greenhead Gear and Bigfoot floaters (2 doz) and Greenhead Gear and Carry-lite shells (4 doz). I also have Real Geese silhouettes (3 doz.) and Goose Magnets (1/2 doz) which are the cats a$$ for puttin birds exactly where you want them.

For ducks I use Greenhead Gear and Cabelas RealImage (4 doz) for mallards and a hodge-podge of different brands for divers that ive compiled through the years (prolly 10 or 11 doz). Im hoping to get a Herters Bigwater Bluebill set this year and hopefully some widgeon and black ducks dekes as well.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    3 Doz. Flambeau super mag shell honkers here,I got em in 1981 when I started guiding. still use em ,even tho I don't guide anymore. I think I got my 113.00/doz out of em tho.

3. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    300 Rags for snows, plus a few Hardcores. 1 Hardcore canada. Funny to watch flocks decoy to 1 decoy. But when we're not on the X we bring out the masses. Several dozen homemade sillouettes, plus a ton of home molded shells. They're not going to win any contests, but by the time the geese figure they're decoys, it's too late.
    For ducks I almost hate to admit what we use. Anything we can buy on clearance from Wally world. Which means we have close to 250 duck decoys. When we can drive close to the water, we use most of them. But mostly 4-5 dozen if we're walking in.
    Waliking in is why we love sills and shell decoys so much. Can haul in a lot more per bag than full bodies. However, I did draw a refuge hunt for this fall. Included is the use of a dozen ghg decoys. We'll be taking another dozen super mag shells, plus the Hardcore. Should be fun.:wink:

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    No shame in usin clearance dekes. I found a clearance on Carry-lite goose shells a couple years back at Sportsman's Warehouse. Bought every last box they had. I think I paid somewhere around $75/doz and they look good.

Hardcore makes prolly the best dekes out there right now, if you can afford them. Those puppies look just like the real deal. Im starting to get into taxidermy and the first thing im going to do is make some goose dekes but I doubt they will look as good as the HC's.

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    My friends and i we all use full body bigfoots. We have about 4 dozen and about 8 dozen mag and super mag shells. Sometimes we put them all out and then other times we dont. I really like it when we dont i get to sleep in.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bigfeet for goose decoys and 2 to 5 dozen cork or wood decoys that I carve and paint depending on where I'm hunting.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i got the flambeaus on clearance at wallyworld. i have a doz and a half of the mallards and a half doz of redheads. it's what i can afford right now, and they work!

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I favor the "some of these and some of those" thinking.
    Over 35 yrs a fella assembles quite a collection.
    I like to mix and match to keep the Toy Soldier look to a min.
    Variety seems to make the spead a little more belieable.
    All the different sizes ,head positions even color schemes create a better Illusion IMHO.
    Of course some are just pets and lucky ducks and they have earned their place. They all want to hunt just have so much room.

New buys have been :
    GHG Lessers and Specks
    GHG oversized mallards
    Higdon Motion Shells

Old friends :
    G&H
    Famb
    Carrylite
    Herters
    Pond River
    Bigfoots
    Realgeese
    Outlaws
    Jim Jones
    and lots more....lol

Even a few I and friends have whittled for me.

Love them decoys ..ya neve ever have to many.

R Green

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have 15 doz flambouy canada shells and 12-14 doz mallard, pintail, teal, mostly mallard though. I would give up all those goose shells for 3 doz greenhead gear full bodies. Those full bodies are the only way to go

10. shovehead1

shovehead1 New Member

State:
    Trumann,Arkansas
    Well i have 2 dozen green head mallard and 1 dozen teal decoys