Decoys

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mangus, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    whats a good number of decoys to use and what size is best. hunting mallards, wood ducks, mergansers, ringnecks and geese.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cant tell you anything about ducks but back when i was guiding i would use around three dozen magnum sized decoys of course the hunting pressure was ex.heavy in those days 1979-1989 then that thing called CRPkicked in and we all went out of business here no place to hunt geese dont like dead grass and weeds to much but anyway i placed them in a random u shape so they have a target landing area worked real good

3. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    There was a time I hunted with as many decoys as I could "carry." I may not be any smarter than I used to be, but I am older so that dictates how many decoys I use. Two to four dozen if we're duck hunting from a boat, in the Truman lake area geese seldom require more than a dozen decoys. As long as the weather isn't extremely cold we use a "heron" confidence decoy (works great). I know one individual here that will have at least twenty dozen duck decoys at any given time, but he only hunts from a boat. I think that number falls into the "over kill" category. Oh yeah, six dozen goose decoys. There is NO set standard, it's what works for you, but I'd start with a couple of dozen with the primary number representing the type ducks you have the most of in your area.

4. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Whatch how the ducks stage in the areas you are hunting and set them like the real ducks. The real trick to decoying ducks is being where the ducks want to be. I have killed limits over as few as 6 decoys and as many as 100 just depends on the area. If it is an area with alot of pressure some times fewer is better.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    One or two dozen are usually plenty for mallareds, most divers require more. KYFarmer hit the nail on the head. Location, location, location.......