Decoys For Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KATMANDO, Oct 17, 2006.

1. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

just got a grazing doe decoy. i was thinking put it out along with my bobble head turkeys should look pretty good:0a1: . anyone ever tried decoys . anyone have any advice on this.

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Seen it done on tv before but never wanted to invest the money on one myself.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WElCOME to the BOC FAMILY. I think they are illegal in MO. Can't say for sure. DON'tmatter ,don't have one anyway. Have sen Conservation Dept use them during deer season to catch POACHERS. They look real enough.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I was just going to say that they are illegal here & in every other state that I've been to.So I can't say if they are effective on Deer

BUT THEY DO WORK WELL ON THE POACHERS:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Interesting,never heard of them being illegal in Mo?
    One thing for sure,would never use one on public land.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
  7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Good info. I had always thought it was illegal as well.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a small buck decoy. Early when bucks are still together, they come by to say Hello. Later around Muzzle Loader season Nov 8 when the rut is in full swing, the nicer bucks come by to whup butt on the little buck. I rattle horns to get them coming. When they see the little buck decoy, at times they will run right up to it. Yes they work. Doe decoys attract to many does for me.

9. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

they are legal in ohio. but i will not use it anywere but my brothers farm. only family is allowed to hunt it . i went with the doe because of the rut and the turkeys for a confident decoy like a blue heron in a duck spread. i wil post my results later thanks guys:cross:

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    They are legal in Indiana, but the only times I've heard of them being used is by the DNR to bust poachers.
    :wink:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have one and have used it, with no success so far. Most of the success that I have using decoys is during the doe season and using 2 bobblehead and 2 regular hen turkey decoys. Setting them out in the field sure makes the does comfortable and willing to come out early.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Decoys work real well here. I used one to get a big 8 pointer out of a thicket that was on city property. The whole area around it was wide open fields with no trees or cover. I saw the deer go in there in the morning so I put 4 hay bales out in the field at 200 yards and set up the decoy upwind near the edge of the thicket with "Tinks 69" on it. That afternoon I rattled from behind the bales and three minutes later the buck came out of the thicket to check it out. That buck is on my wall now!