Decoy setup

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mangus, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    any ideas on how to set my decoys up? i am new to duck hunting and i hunt by myself or with people that know about as much as i do. i would like some good suggestions on some good duck calls also.

2. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    how to set your decoys up as in how to put them out or how much string and weight to put on there? and the duck call all depends on how much you wanna spend

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Set mine out in an open ended "U" shape alot of times, or semi "j" shape want to leave a good area for landing in front of you. Depends on number of decoy ya have and body of water your in. I have learned alot about decoy layout by watching them in the wild how they do it is the BEST way to apply it to hunting. As far as calls, whatever is easy for you to use, just starting I would say SINGLE REED CALLS would be the best, and again while ya watch listen and immitate what ya here. Good luck, NATURE AND TRIAL AND ERROR ARE YOUR BEST TEACHER. Good luck to ya.

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Depends on several things. What kind of ducks are you hunting for? How many decoys do you have and what species? Ducks generally land into the wind. If you only have a few decoys its hard to get fancy. Set them up within range and leave a landing spot (hole) in a handy spot where your shots will be easy.

5. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    You can 'practice' decoys and calls all year and save hunting season for shooting. One of the prettiest things i've seen is a duck dropping it's feet into a set of decoys .

6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    here are the answer to some of your ?s. i was wanting to know about set up on the water. we hunt mostly geese, mallards, wood ducks, ringnecks and mergansers. we hunt mostly ponds and small rivers or creeks. i have about two dozen decoys, mallards and wood ducks.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've seen mergansers mentioned on here a couple times now. You guys really hunt them and what do you do with them when you get them?

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Is there a reason to kill a Merganser? I know a guy that "lost" a bet and had to eat one, he hasn't been the same since. My dog won't even pick one up.

There is NO right way to make a decoy spread, certain configurations work different on different days. Get all the information you can from everyone you can "THAT DUCK HUNTS" and you'll find that even the best setup doesn't always work. The old standards are "U" shaped, "V" shaped, "J" shaped and in some cases a straight line. The "J" is the most versatile, you can hunt it from either end or the middle, let conditions and experience dictate your position. I had that straight line proven to me two years ago. We started with a "J" setup and the wind changed directions, suddenly, and increased to a gale. I didn't have enough line or weight to stay positioned and most of the decoys blew on or near the bank leaving about fourty feet of "flat" water. The wind blew hard for about three hours, six hunters limited in about thirty minutes and we had several hundred ducks land in that "very narrow" strip of calm water. This happened when they were returning from thier morning feeding and apparently the first ducks were willing to land any where that might give them some refuge from the wind. The later ducks landed because the others were there.....

Don't worry about the number of decoys, it's where you put them.....that counts.

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

I've heard of "eatin' coot", but a mergie.............:0a30:

That must have been rough ride. Better him than me.:lol: :lol:

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Give the Mergansers to your inlaws......... Two dozen decoys will make a nice spread. Often the ducks will land on the outside edge, so keep them within range.... Good Luck.......