DeckHand 40 Pontoon

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DeerHunter01, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Can anyone tell me about this anchor system. If anyone has it or not and does it work ok or do alot of people run into problems with it.

DeckHand 40 Pontoon​

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    DH: I have never seen one on a pontoon boat so obviously I cannot say if it works or not. I have however seen the Deckhand models on other boats and they did seem to work alright in fairly shallow water. As I recall they did not accommodate enough line to anchor in very much water.

If it is help you are looking for in getting your anchor up, then I would recommend the AnchorLift Anchor Retrieving System by Ironwood Pacific. I won one of these units in one of the BOC contests and wrote and posted an evaluation on it. Since then I have continued to gain experience with the unit and am even more impressed than I initially was. As well as an anchor puller it is a great device if you have to detach your anchor line from the boat to chase a biggun. Just put a knot in the end of the line and let it go. Very visible when returning to pick up the anchor.

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Tom:

With the problems with my back and Ryan working this summer if I ever did want to go fishing by myself I would be into a little trouble either way dropping the anchor also, thats why I am looking at a heavy duty one, this one here has 100 foot of rope at 800lb test, has a quick disconnect. and pulls a 40# anchor at 88 feet per minute. it runs about $269.00 for the unit, just was not sure if anyone ever used one of these, I been hearing stories of some having trouble winding in and back lashing under themselves.

4. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
  5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I dont see why it wouldnt work fine. i know the smaller units work fine on small boats.

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I have one on my toon and it works with very few problems. I have it mounted to the bow and try to anchor into the wind. When you get ready to leave start the motor but don't put it in gear you'll want to pull the boat to the anchor to keep tension on the line and prevent slack from making loops and catches that get caught up. I have never had a problem with not having enough line to get the angle right to get the anchor to dig in but the deepest water I deal with is about 40'

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a smaller model deckhand and it holds so little line its almost useless. but that one holding 100' might be better

8. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have the older smaller model on the front of mine. no problems with tangles as long as you keep it under tension while you pull in the anchor.

Just like a baitcaster, you let the line get loose and wrap on the reel funny and you are in for tangles.

Take a peek at the picture:

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/6-bigblue.jpg

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey DH,

Ever thought about the cheap way? I was thinking the winch thingy that puls the boat onto the trailer might be an alternative, although I don't know what kind of line capacity it has. I am still working on selling my boat so I can get my toon, hopefully within a week or two.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, I had one on my flat bottom for river fishing, they work great. I was going to put one on the Catoon when I got it, the reason I didn't was the short anchor line it would hold, 60 feet I believe.
    Some thing you may be interested in, I've seen them in the Offshore Catalog, a "Capstan", it's a drum(different sizes) mounted on a motor vertically, you make 3 or 4 wraps around it with your anchor rope, then when you turn the motor on it will lift your anchor, you just have to pile the rope that's coming in my hand. These will lift a heavier anchor than the anchormate. Also, your anchor line can be as long as you want or need. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and post a pic for you, I believe this is some thing that would help you.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, here's the only small one I was able to locate so far, it is 12 volt though, and not to big. I'll have to go back and get the pic, I'll put it in the next post.

Home > Electical > Wiindlasses > Maxwell Anchor Max Capstan Windlass

Maxwell Anchor Max Capstan Windlass

Specifications

Max Pull Lbs. 850
    Power Down Spee N/A
    Line Speed 76 ft./min.
    Rope/Chain Dia. 3/8" - 1"
    Motor Size 600W 12V

The Maxwell Anchor Max is a value priced capstan windlass. Unlike the automatic capstan windlasses described above you have to feed the rope and chain around the capstan and guide it into and out of your chain locker. Like all Maxwell capstans, the Anchor Max is finished with Maxwells unique and registered MAX-grip finish, ensuring the best possible grip and control of rope lines or rodes. The Anchor Max is good for boats up to 33ft. with a maximum pull of 800lbs. It has a 12v 600 Watt motor, measures 6"D x 4"H above deck; 3.2" x 6.75" below deck and includes a foot switch.
    SKU Description Your Price

770018 Anchor Max Capstan Windlass $559.00 Buy Now

Was $559.00 Now $505.69

r, kinda pricey though.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I'll try in a little bit again, doesn't want to upload(?) I know it's the right size.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, I'll try again, this is the picute of the capstan described in the previous post. Don't know why, it won't up load, is there some way I can send the pic in a PM?

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It might be where you got the photo from, some times they will do that.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    DH , use the link Catter put up. Thata is a windlass or capstan. Either way its the same principle. It uses the rope wrapped around the bell to pull just like the wire tuggers we use pulling in large cables.
    They are high amp draw

17. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I like mine really well, on my pontoon boat I use two of them, one fore and one aft. Both anchors are mounted just inside the tubes. It is good for an
    guy like me to bring up the anchors from the console, without using the
    old arms. I wired the controls on the console side by side, when I get to
    the hot spot all I have to do is hit the switch, the anchors go down. When I'm ready to go hit the raise switch and they come up and shut off automatically. I also use them on my G3 fishing boat. The only downfall
    so far is on the pontoon boat, do to its high profile, the boat will drift sometimes when it is windy. I'm looking into changing or adding something
    to the anchors to improve the bite.

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I do not have a deck hand but the anchors in the original picture are great. I picked one up a couple of years ago and love it. In the Red River I can use it and stay put when the same weight will drift in other shaped anchors. The weight shifts inside and it really helps.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, so far I've been unable to find anything cheaper or smaller, although I don't think the size of this one on a Toon would be to big. I'll keep surfing around though.