Deck Repair & Anti slip tape

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Terry Day, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I loaned my boat to my youngest son (29 at the time). When I got it back the welds holding the front deck were broken and the deck swayed downward in the middle. It looks like he had too many friends horsing around on the front deck of the boat and the welds just gave out. When questioned about it he said that it was that way when I loaned it to him! Needless to say - He NO longer has access to the boat. Question is how do I fix it? If I have the welds rewelded will they hold or does it now become the weakest link? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Second item: I have stepped off of the deck onto the bottom of the boat with wet feet and have busted my butt on more than one occassion! Where can I find 6" wide rolls of adhesive anti slip tape.

Thanks

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If the person who welds it knows what they are doing, you should have no problems.

As for grip tape, I've heard of people painting the surface and throwing sand directly on the wet paint, and then painting over that once the first coat dries.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I agree about the good welder, but make sure he is a good one, for anit slip there is a product called wing walk that I have seen used that will not let you slip.

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Matt and Lngbo,

Lngbo - do you know where I could get that anti slip product?

Thanks

5. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Something else you might want to consider for the anti-slip is any of the spray on or roll on bedliner materials. They do a good job of protecting the surface as well as being anti-slip. Not to mention they are virtually indestructable. I do know that gasoline will cause them to peel on occassion.

6. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I located a local aluminum welder. My heighbor recommended him. This gentleman used to be a welder for TWA. He is supposed to be an excellent welder. If he can weld on an airplane - I guess that I can trust him with my boat. I took the boat to him today. He says that he will have it done in a day or two. He is only going to charge me $40.00 - which I thought was very reasonable.

Thanks for all of the advice.

7. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i just used the roll on truck dedliner on my deck sprayed it with water climbed up on the deck jumped around like an idiot and never fell so it seems like it works real good

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    rasimmons, Did you use one of the rubber ribbed bed lines or was it some other type? I've thought about looking into the rubber mats that the checkers stand on at the grocery store and wally world. Thanks for the info.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    My buddy has marine vinyl flooring on his boat. It's pretty good stuff.

10. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
  11. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Terry, I'd stay away from that anti-slip tape unless you can find a better supplier than I could. I was gonna put some on the decking of an outdoor play fort I built for the kids because the treated wood platform was kinda slick when wet and we had a pool under the slide. The local hardware store sold 4 inch wide X 60 ft long rolls for $177.00. I thought it was mis-marked, but was told "Nope, that's the price." That nonskid surface must be impregnated with gold. Needless to say, I left tapeless.
    Rat

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks - Ulitzh / Crazy / Rat, I appreciate all of the advice. Any and all suggestions will be evaluated. Thanks again!

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I think we had a sponsor that sold stick on non slip surfaces. Looked real good. Maybe someone rembers the name.

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Antiskid tape insn't cheap whatsoever. Grainger is where I've bought mine when I needed some. Just type in "anti skid tape" from their homepage.

15. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    my son is the same way....it dont matter what he borrows, its like i got to go and get it back or something happed and it wasnt his fault....lol....he also has a bad habit of borrowing some guns and ammo to go shoot, the guns make it back but the ammo seems to get lost. he works off shore on a supply boat, he got me a roll of 6" inch anti-slip tape, works great. ps, guess thats what sons are for.....to break our stuff! charlie r

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When I was in the military stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, We had a small tornado (or high winds) pick up the front of my mobile home, swing it to the left about 12 feet and set it back down. The only thing that kept the frame from twisting was my aluminium jon boat. Needless to say, we got the insurance adjuster out and the SOB wanted to give me $10.00 for the jon boat I'd paid $100.00 for when new. It was several years old. The force of the mobile home split the aluminium where the transom joined the floor. I took it to an aluminium welder...he charged me $5.00 to weld the split. I used that boat for another 12 years. I'm glad I excercised my military wisdom in the manner I told that adjuster to vacate my property. I was a fairly decent drill sergeant for about 10 years - off and on.

17. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Guys, do yourselves a favor.

Go find a punk teen kid on a skateboard and ask him or her politely where the nearest skate shop is. Thats where you buy your tape.

Skateboards range in width up to a foot, and so does the custom rolls of tape they sell for them. It also is available in all sorts of ridiculous color combinations and I have even seen a blue flme pattern. LOL.

Try that.

18. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I mixed up a little "Sharkhide" with some paint and it wears like iron. You can get it at Lowes for about $4. It gives you the same texture as the non-skid tape.

19. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i used to be a punk teen skateboarding kid a couple of years ago (then i found fishing and have not been on a board since). I agree with Sal. The 'grip tape' they use on skateboards in is very course and strong (makes a great 60-80 grit sandpaper). You can buy a sheet about 2 feet long by a foot wide for around 6 bucks at a skate shop. the stuff will never wear down! i used it on my boat in spots and love it.