Deck Garden

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flamekeeper, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Anybody grow (patio tomatoes)? My wife brought one home and a sweet cherry plant and we planted them in some pots on the deck along with some kinda string beans and a couple of mild,yellow/hot,red chili pepper plants around the deck.

The patio tomatoes are about the size of a hardball and this plant is loaded with them and they grow in bunch's like the cherry tomato. Check-em out. they are growing through the spindles and are tied up and growing over the rails..Yeah Boy Ain't nothing like Home Grown Tomatoes.:smile2:

The beans are growing up the strings and spindles and I'm weaveing them back down into the vines as they grow over the rails. the peppers are on the side.. Next yr I'm going to have a little better thing going with several garden plants in each pot.. :wink:

I just thought I would share this with you guys..

Attached Files:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres some more pic's

Attached Files:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I love a good BLT with homegrown maters.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It looks like a good crop there. I love fresh maters:wink:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those look great! Im gonna have to try that next year.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    th peppers look scrumshish :tounge_out: gotta tell you how we can them. put in a olive oil/vinigar solution along with a big sprig of dill and 3 hunks of garlic. dont be surprized if you sit and eat th whole jar. :big_smile::cool2:

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    the neighbor lady has done that the last few years , grown veggies in containers on her deck , she had such good results that i am considering doing that next year , maybe give up the garden, by the way all your vegtables look real good thanks for the post

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most impressive Kenny! I may have to try that next year.:big_smile:

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks good. We're canning fresh maters and peppers already. Nothing like home grown.

10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow Kenny! Master rod builder and master gardner! I am super jealous:sad2:

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yeah buddy!!! :cool2: Kenny, those plants (and what they're producing) look GREAT. I grow my herb garden in containers, but haven't as of yet tried growing veggies. Maybe next year. Thanks for sharin' your green thumb with us, bro!

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thanks for all the comments ladies and gentlemen:wink:

I love home grown vegetables. A couple of years ago I watch some program about utilizing space in their/your garden.Thats where I got the idea to grow in containers, plus I have no space in my yards for a big garden, but I have used only one plant per container for the last 2 years..

These people were using several plant types per roll, and letting them grow together,, So I figured I'd do the same next year. something like this.

Pot #1. By planting about 2-3 stalks of corn spaced out even in the center of the pot, then about 6 pole beans just outside of them and 1 squash dead center. The beans will grow right up the corn and the squash will cover and drape down over and shade the pot and vine out into the spindles.

#2 A head of lettuce center with carrots/onions around the outside etc..

#3 Even plant some potatoes in 3-4gal container. :big_smile:

You can use your imagination and mix/match the plants that would use the same soil type and watering habits and your good to go.

I plan on having a BUMPER CROP next year!:003::002: