Deciding on a Trolling motor. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Pip, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Need some advice and opinions about trolling motors. I've always done a lot of controlled drifting in the past for the kitty's. Just something I've had success with and a lot of action at times. Trolling motors have come along way in the past 20 years. I'm just not up on the newer stuff as much as some. this is were I'm looking for some help.

Last year I upgraded to a new SeaArk 2072, I had the dealer install the mount and 6 gauge wire, but held off on the trolling motor as I really wasn't set on what I wanted yet.

I'm pretty much split between Minn kota vs. Motorguide. I could probably get away with getting a 12v 55 Max. But a 24v 65 to 80# thrust would be more realistic. Kind of split over the autopilot vs the copilot, not going to mess with the foot control this time around. ( getting old and lazy, I reckon,LOL)

While both offer pretty much the same options and features i'm looking for, I'm still undecided. Seems the more I look the less I get set on one or the other. Anybody have any experience with one or the other?

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I looked at both also , you get more bang for your buck with the motorguide ,but!! when I got on basspro website and read the "rate this product" section and guys on there said the nose cone on the motor was plastic , and when they hit stumps and rocks it broke! so I went with the minkota . 12-55 autopilot w/built in transducer. the foot pedal has a 18ft cord , I put it on my console when I'm trollin on autopilot and use my hand to make direction changes . this thing is great for trolling , your going to like it . I got the 12v to save some weight (one less 60lb battery) on that 20ft boat ,you'll want 24v and might as well get the 80lb thrust one.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks Vince for the reply. Been kicking it around and decided to go with the Minn Kota, for a number of reasons, I've had no problems with Minn Kota in the past, haven't even had any problems with the anchor winch I got on the boat. With the warranty and the price I found today in Gander Mountain. I went with the Power Drive D2. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but went with the 55lb. I'm thinking that will be ok for the kind of application I'm going to use it for, but we'll see. Also picked up the co-pilot to go along with it. Just have to get it mounted and give it a try.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mike if you only fish lakes the 55 will work. But I fish the river here also. And have the 80 lb Terrova Autopilot and copilot. Love the setup, I can run it with the remote or use the foot control. As it has buttons I can use my foot on. I set in the back of my lund under the bemini top in the shade in 100 degree weather. And enjoy it a lot. LOL
    Pete