deciding on a canoe

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by holbrookncsu, Aug 25, 2009.

1. holbrookncsu

holbrookncsu New Member

State:
    nc
    I am trying to decide on what kind of canoe to get... I have a small pickup to haul it on.. Do I need a squareback or a regular one? How many ft should it be I am thinking 15ft.. I want to put a trolling motor on it so I am thinking squareback. Any suggestions?:big_smile:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll give my 2 cents.
    A kayak and ditch the motor.

You get a good kayak it's an effortless paddle.
    A kayak would be alot more versatile.
    For instance, if you want to paddle the backwaters down at the coast.
    It would be alot more enjoyable with a yak. Lower center of gravity and alot less profile for the wind to catch.

If you are fishing the Neuse between Raleigh and Smithfield I wouldn't waste my money on a trolling motor. It wont last. Too shallow and too many rocks in too many places.
    Coupla baby rapids we shoot on the Neuse. Big enough to make it interesting.

The beauty of it.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I agree wholeheartedly with Mark on this one.

Canoes have been used by families for years, and that is why most folks think of using canoes when they get older. Kayaks, although they have been around for centuries, are relatively new as a fishing concept for most people.

The new Sit-On-Tops (SOT) kayaks are much more stable fishing platforms than canoes, can be easily paddled, and are efficiently designed to hold all of your fishing gear.

For the amount you will invest in the trolling motor and squareback, you can probably buy the kayak, nice paddle, and cart. It is certainly worth checking out.

There are some great peddle-powered kayaks out there, such as the Hobie and Native Watercraft. I find that paddling works perfectly fine for me, however.

4. holbrookncsu

holbrookncsu New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks for the info.. I lucked up and someone gave me a squareback canoe... I guess I will see how it works out for me... I am taking it to the cape fear tonight... I will let ya know how it goes...

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    When you're ready to get rid of the canoe, and switch to a kayak, let me know. I'm looking for a squareback.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Are you offering to trade? You traitor! :big_smile::wink:

7. holbrookncsu

holbrookncsu New Member

State:
    nc
    I think im going to stick w/ a canoe. We had a pretty good time out there.. Didnt catch any monsters, but hooked up on a few.. Im taking it camping this weekend..

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Not looking for a trade just an addition to my fleet. I need something I can go farther up river with.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are looking for a kayak,,, check out a Big R farm store,,, they just put one in Michigan City,,,, They have Pelican Kayaks for about 350,,,, Pro Bass doesn't have one for less than about 600,,,

The Big R store here took over an old Walmart,, because they built the big one with groceries here,,, they are using the full store, and have a ton of fishing, hunting and boating stuff,,,, I was amazed.....In fact I got a Minn Kota 40 pound thrust trolling motor while I was in Big Rs....lol...

10. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I like a squareback canoe. I've had one for years. A 15' will carry 3 people comfortably (get a sling seat for the guy in the middle). Seems like you never realize how far downstream you've gone until it is time to paddle back. A little kicker on the back end makes life a lot easier.

11. boatstall

boatstall New Member

State:
    North Louisiana
    My squareback has towed many of my wet, cold, tired, kayak buddy's back more times than I can count. Have had as many as 7 daisy chained in tow, with a coin toss to see who gets the bow seat for the ride back in.

12. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i use a ultima 12 kayak from native
    It is open like a canoe and stable but eazy to carrie and paddle