Decided to rebuild 70 HP Johnson

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Dec 17, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I am just going to rebuild, I have my seloc repair manual,Compression tester, piston ring compressor, flywheel puller and flywheel turn tool, three stone hone tool. I am going to wait to order the rebuild kit and see if the cylinders need bored out or not. That way I will know what size pistons to get...Wish me luck!

2. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    may the force be with you:wink:

3. Good luck bud. You can do it!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Just keep everything nice and clean. put a new water pump and rebuild the carbs. If you will post a picture of the head before you take it off while you have it off I'll show you the best place to reinstall that tell tell.

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What is a tell tell?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Don get your camera and take pictures of the tear down and that will help you to remember where it all goes back.:wink:
    A nice video of the job or at least the water pump would be good or send me a series of pictures and I 'll put them in the post I made about water pumps.

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    if you get in a tight ill ride up and help you , you know there is an art to cross hatching a cylinder?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don, I think the tell-tell Bubbakat is referring to is the water coming out of the lower unit which tells you the water pump is still working. Unless I miss my guess, Willard was saying he would show you the best place to install a water temperature sending unit, which you can hook to a gage on the console. It is good for everyone to check their motor all the time it is running to make sure it is "peeing" out the hole. A gage is an even better indicator. By the time the audible alarm the manufacturer has tied into the thermostat goes off, its too late. Gages are supposed to help you shut the motor off before it gets heated or ruined. I am fairly sure Willard will come along and either say I'm right or correct me where I am wrong. LOL

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Goodluck on the rebuild....at least this way you know you will have a solid motor, rather than buying something used and not being sure. Let us know how it goes and post pics. Oh and by the way, when it comes time to check the spark, if you have to, don't do the hillbilly spark test....i had to do that on my 50, and lets say it woke me up :smile2::wink:

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is where the stream of water exits the block when you have it surmerged in the water and running. Like lawerance said you can put a t on it and add a pressure gage on the dash. That way you don't have to look back and see if its pi&&ing. :wink:

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Hey good luck to you brother . I am fixing to do the same thing to a 50 horse rude . I can rebuild a car/truck motor with my eyes closed , so I should be able to do a boat motor ....

12. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Called the fella and the smallest power head he has is a 85 v4... Also I talked to a fella that has a 70hp power head that is used but good he said 1500 which he is outta his mind!!! So not any luck here finding one... Sorry:eek:oooh:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Have fun with it, Don! I rebuilt my 1980 Evinrude 75 year before last. Not a bad project other than the cost of the parts. I lucked out and insurance covered them so the only moving parts in mine (including main bearings) that I didn't replace were the crank and 2 connecting rods. I went ahead and had all three cylinders bored .030 over since the #2 had to be bored anyway. That way I knew all my cylinders were round and the honing was good.

If you check on Ebay you can probably find the actual OEM manual for your motor. I got the Evinrude service and parts manuals for mine for about $30.

Happy holidays!

Branden

14. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Changing piston and rings aint that bad... A lil comman sence will take you a long way....:wink:

15. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Larry Hagan of Hagan's boat repair is guiding me along, I am doing all the labor and he is just telling me what to do and how to do it.

Guys if you ever need help with your boat Call Larry Hagan, Lebanon, Tn.
    This guy is awesome he is all about helping people and not trying to get as much money as he can out of you. He is not charging me one cent for helping me, he has loaned me manuals and special tools to use. I went out and bought him a country ham yesterday to show my thanks and even told him that while I am off for the next two weeks that I would come to his shop a couple of days a week and offer some free labor. I am telling you this man is the bomb for boat repair. If it were not for him I would be out of alot of money and time.

Hagan's Boat repair, Briskin lane Lebanon, Tn.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009