Decent weekend on the upper Lake of the Ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 6, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Fished all day Saturday and Sunday on the upper Lake of the Ozarks a few miles below Truman Dam. Put about 100 lbs of fish in the boat total, around 25 fish in all.

My dad caught his new personal best on Saturday at 30 lbs. My 9-year-old son and I caught matching 18lb'ers today. Plus lots of little fish and non-stop bites both days. Looked to me like just about everyone was catching fish, I heard about quite a few in the 30 to 40 lb range.

With all the rain today and more coming, Truman is going to come up another 5 or 10 feet and they'll be moving a *lot* of water through the dam soon. Ought to make for some great fishing over the next several weeks!

2. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Good to hear you had a good week end!!!!!
    I fished Thursday night and Friday morning below the dam and caught allot of fish. Friday morning they flat started cranking out the water
    and for some reason the bite slowed so we left. With out giving away your spot about how far down was you fishing.
    And were you using circle hooks or J-hooks??

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I was fishing between the dam and the 75 mile marker... :smile2:

Circle hooks, J hooks, it doesn't matter. Once you learn how to use either one of them, they work equally well. Folks who don't like circle hooks simply don't know how to use them properly...

4. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I can tell you they work dam good on surf rods as well in swift current.
    At what level would the lake have to reach before they would open a
    flood gate??

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Don't know when they'll open the spillway gates - the current 3-day forecast shows ZERO release planned over the next 3 days, while the lake climbs about 5 ft. They're probably in flood control mode now and have to manage the release from Truman to keep the lower Missouri and Mississippi from flooding.

Truman can hold a *lot* of water, so they're under no particular pressure to release it unless the torrential rains keep up for several more days.

The nice thing is, the longer they hold the water back, the longer they'll be releasing it and the longer the cats will bite...

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Oh Oh , I know that spot Mr. T. And I think I have fished that same spot before. LOL
    Thanks for all the info.:tounge_out: