decent shotgun??

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Johnny B, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I am looking at buying a 12 gu. pump shotgun and have about 400-500 dollars. Anyone have any ideas of a good reliable gun for that price? I am mainly going to use it for bird hunting.

2. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    remington 870 damn good gun dept issue lol

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you want an honest mans shotgun check out the mossburgs. They aren't that much and work. They are the type that if you are out and break a leg you would not feel to bad using it as a splint. Plus it would still work afterwards. Should only set you back about 250.

Remington also make a good pump that law enforcement/military has been using for decades. They are a little pricier closer to 300.

I still have a Winchester 20ga that is over 20yrs old and I love it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Mossberg 12ga is a hard gun to beat like a old timex watch. They take alot and keep on working I have been using them for years. I have mine setup with a scope on the reciever with the rifled barrel. I shimmed the barrel tight and it has held zero for 7 years now. Great gun for the money I pay about $300.00 for mine it was a combo. I have never put the bird barrel on just the rifled slug barrel.

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    mossberg 500 combo, no bout adout it. :big_smile::cool2:

6. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    There is no doubt that the Remington 870 is the best pump shotgun ever made for the price. I have a Mossberg 500 and its a good gun too. The combo barrels make for a good deal. But if you have $500 to spend you might want to go ahead and opt for a semi. You could probaly find a remingtom 1187 for around that much. Especially a used one. That's what i duck hunt with. but if you are talking about just dove or something than a pump is more than enough. Now, i'm not saying you cant duck hunt with a pump. So nobody jump my butt. I know plenty of people that do and are just as fast pumping out rounds. I hunted with a pump most of my years hunting.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Rem 870 combo with deer barrel and standard barrel, thats a fine setup!

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    For a pump Rem.870 or the 500 Moss.also the Mossberg 835 Ultra-Mag", are great guns but like they have already said if you have $500 to spend take a look around there are some really good quality semi for that price...and even better ones slightly used...:wink:
    Shop around and learn about the good guns...:big_smile:
    Puddle

9. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Go look around at some pawn shops for a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
    I picked up an 870 Super Mag from a pawn shop for $250, looked like it'd only been fired twice.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a Winchester model 1300 Black Shadow. Its been a good gun so far. Ive had it 4 years.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a mossberg pump. It has been in the bottom of the river. Yea i dropped it duck hunting one time. was damn cold getting it back. Dried it off oiled her up and she never skipped a beat. Paid 100 bucks used for it. Aint much to look at but it does the job and does it well.

12. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    For $500 or less any of the pump guns would be fine for birds. Remington 870, Nova, Mossberg 500, N.E.F./New England makes fine pumps too. If your not wanting a new one those old Marlins, Western Fields etc. can be had under $100. Ive bought old Marlins for $50 before and they shoot fine. If your going to hunt deer with slugs or hogs etc then a 2 barrel combo would probably be your best bet/deal.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've owned and shot a Remington 870 12 Ga for 45 years. Never had a complain about it.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love a 870. Parts from a express (cheap model) will interchange with the wingmaster( high dolla version). These guns are without a doubt some of the toughest made, dependable guns on the market. I shoot a SP (special purpose) with parkerized metal and black composite stocks. 21" barrle with screw in chokes and have killed tons of mallards, turkey,squirrle,rabbit ,dove and bout everything that walks crawls or flys with it.

15. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I went skeet shooting with a mossberg 500 today and fell in love with it. My buddy is selling it for $ 175 and looks to be in mint condition. I'm goin with this for starters. Thabks for all the recomendations guys!:big_smile:

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Remington 870....There is a reason over 10 million have been sold. They are solid performers and last forever if even halfway taken care of. Mossberg pumps will work to, i'm just partial to the 870

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    The 870 has been in the hands of loads of Duck Guides. I have seen them on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so rusted they look like junk. They keep working flawlessly.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have 870s, 500s 1300s and 88s and they are all awesome. they won't let you down!

19. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I have had about every shotgun made at one time or another but it seems like I always have a Mossberg 500 around. For the price I don't think it can be beat. Very tough gun!

20. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    same here,the only one i do wish i had back would be my ithaca police gun:sad2: