Decent night on the wabash 8/22-8/23

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fatcats89, Aug 23, 2009.

1. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well fished the wabash last night with ronski, with a decent turnout. I caught 2 5ish pound channels (didnt weigh them), a softshell turtle, and a 20 pound flatty. Ron caught 2 flats in the 15 pound range about 2 minutes apart, a nice channel (about 5 pounds), and a softshell turtle himself. Considering that the fishing has been extremely slow these past few weeks I consider this a very productive night. We fished downtown lafayette area, the fish were caught between 10:30pm and about 1:30am. Then the fishing just kind of died. The 20 pound flatty hit my channel rod with a 2x2in piece of cut bait on it, it was a fun fight with only 30lb test to say the least. Here are the pics of my flatty,
    and one of my channels, (best not to waste all my battery on same size fish). Im sure ron will post a pic of one of his flats later on....

Attached Files:

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Way to go man.... I guess it's the picture or your size but, that flattie looks bigger than twenty pounds to me lol

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    conrats on the flatty and channel

4. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ha well during the flatty fight I kept telling ron it felt about 20 pounds, he put it on his scale and it hit 20 even! I'm about 5'8" 125 pounds so that may be why it looks so big compared to me. But it does look bigger than 20 in that pic, it was longer than girthy. I didn't even get to catch a fish on my new baitcaster, everything was caught on my channel rod. Atleast ron showed me a couple of tricks on how to use it!

5. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd say that was a pretty good night. It got kinda chilly out there though. Saw my first Asian carp in person. They're funny when they're not hitting you in the head!! Lots of limblines out with what appeared to be nothing on them. That's the first time I've had clickers go off that close together. Literally as he was snapping this picture, my other rod went rrrrriiiippp!! That's the dumb look on my face (my excuse!!) :eek:oooh: Anyway, it was a fun night. Much better than I had expected with this cold front & crazy weather. Too bad the river was dropping towards morning and it got so foggy we couldn't see anything or I'd still be there!

Bill, I guess I just have the knack for taking good pictures, see how tiny my fish looks?!!! :wink:
    Famous quote of the night #1 "Is it snowing?"
    #2 " Do those (asian carp) have horns?"

Attached Files:

6. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    How did I know those were going to end up on here? Time to redeem myself(I hope!)... The snowing one, we were under a bridge and the way the light was catching on bugs as they were flying made it look like snow. The carp, I had no idea what an asian carp was untill I fished down there a couple weeks ago, so I knew nothing about them except they like to show off how high they can jump out of water when there is a boat around. Joking!

7. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Good catches guys wish we coulda had even half the bites. Our night was pretty slow. I fell asleep and allegedly snored lmao!

Fud

9. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ahhh, you knew I would put that out for everyone else to enjoy! No need to explain yourslef :wink: I'm glad we caught some fish, I almost cancelled the trip. I really shouldn't be driving that far when my truck needs a valve job but no guts no glory I guess!
    Too bad it didn't work out over there for ya Chris, but at least you didn't get snowed on!! :cool2:

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats fellas! Good lookin haul.

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice job guys! Glad you were able to get out & catch some.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah Nice catch guys.. And Bill (aka DrPepper ) is the same way when he takes pics.. a 20 pounder next to him is a huge fish.. LOL:smile2:

13. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    great catch guys ! I hit the walbash sat morning at daylite , caught one small drum on crawdad's and got a couple hits on cut bait . so you guys did good .I put in at the fort and fished down river about 5 or 6 miles . maybe we can meet up sometime , let me know when your coming back .

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the nice trip! I'd say that was worth the drive. That flat looks huge, good pic!

15. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys! Sad thing is I was more excited about catching that turtle than that flat. Haha I think it was just because I've never caught a turtle on rod and reel. But thanks again! I'm not sure next time I'm going down there, I think I might go down to fish the white river near waverly in a few weeks. Still not sure on it yet though.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well let me know if ya do... I'm only five minutes away. I'd like shoot down and say hey.

17. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok will do bill, I just plan on driving down there and finding a good spot to bank fish. If you know of any spots that you would like to share that would be very kind of you haha. Ill let you know when I'm coming down though, it would be cool to meet you!

18. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yes, He snored, nothing alledged about it! LOL! I did get a channel about 4:30 in the morning! Congrats guys on the catches, I'm gonna get my PB flatty before the years over!

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks man. I'll tell ya right now though, it'll be a waste of gas to bank fish there... it's all a shallow flat below a riff that is a mile up river, the nearest hole is maybe about a mile down. If the timing is just right, maybe we can hop in my boat and hit-up a couple spots if you want.

20. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks bill, I don't want you to have to drag your boat out on my behalf. Now if your already planning on getting out then that's a different story. I just don't want to be rude and be like take me out in your boat. Its just something ill have to figure out. Like I said I don't even plan on coming down for a few weeks atleast. Ill let you know what's going on though.