Decent night fishing

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by mcwrestler, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, yesterday I heard on the news of a coming cold front, and after the initial anger at a possible case of lockjaw for my Friday and Saturday night fishing, I decided to go then, and hope they were in a feeding frenzy. I set up where I usually do, except someone had taken the rod holders (PVC Pipe stuck in ground) that I put there for myself and anyone else. Why, who knows, but the guys who did it where laughing (they removed them when I was coming and threw them in the water, I reeled one in so I know.) They had 8 fishing rods in a 6-foot stretch and had caught nothing, they were trying to throw a cast net and as I approached to give them helpful advice they were to good to take it, so their loss. I took out my cast net and began catching shad. Baited up the 3 cat rods and one small ultra light with bread, then took out the bait catching rod for bluegill. Rather slow at first, then the small rod begins doubling. After a 10-minute fight on 6lb line a grass carp weighing 18lb was brought in. The guys down the bank refused to help with their bigger net so I waded in and carried it out. Nice fish, and I let it go. An hour later I caught my first ever blue cat weighing 6lbs on a shad head. Then half an hour passes with nothing (The arrogant kids who need no help come and ask me what I was using for bait, I reply "shad, since I can cast my net. He responds well, your big one the carp, are easy to catch. It’s not special. I reply "well, if it’s so easy why don't you catch them, it will fight harder then what you guys are catching (which was nothing)"). I reel in and rebait the rods with fresh shad head and fillets. Within 30 seconds of my bait hitting water ( I was still setting the drag and checking to make sure the rod was secure) I catch a 12lb channel. At around 10 that night the bites were everywhere, just no hookups. Wanting to catch something I reel in the bait and cut it down, since I know the small channels have a hard time getting the 8/0 gamakatsu hooks. I am packing up slowly at 11:00 and then the 8ft rod doubles and the drag screams. I set the hook and feel the weight on the end of the line. I knew the fish was decent size, but to my dismay it wasn't the 25lber it felt like, instead it was just a 13lb blue cat, but at least it was double digit fish. And now as I type this I look out the dorm window and see lighting and rain. I am glad I went last night, even if the kids were arrogant. I was dissapointed, I am always willing to help land or net a fish, or give advice. Most fishermen are, this is the first time people with a net have refused to help for no reason. Luckily, I was happy to see them go home empty handed, they spent 8 hours and caught nothing, they may have done better with bait, but oh well, their loss. I caught my fish.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    As you said Brad, their loss. In more ways than one!
    All you can do is offer the rest is up to the others.
    Glad you caught some nice fish. :)

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Congrats mc on your venture.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That print is much to small for me to read. You can tell he still has young eyes.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good story Brad! Love the ending;)