Decent day on the Tennessee River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by shadguts, Aug 19, 2008.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Got out this morning at about 4am. Was anchored on a spot and had four rods out before the sun came out. Sure was nice! Got the first bite at 6am. One of those real good, slow, pull downs, and the drag slipping, bites. Just dropped it. Maybe 10 minutes later, same thing on a different rod. Maybe another 10 minutes and another on a different rod, except this one didn't drop the bait. After a short fight, put a 60lb blue in the boat. Weighed 60 on the dot. After getting the fish in the boat and while looking for the camera another rod went down. These weren't little bites or the going to jerk the rod out of the boat bites they were the good ones. While fighting with a fish on that rod another loaded up. By this time I was smiling from ear to ear. Trying to reel two rods at once I lost one of the fish but did get the other to the boat. Was the biggest gar I've ever seen in person. A easy 5 footer. After letting the gar go, I quickly deduced that the other bites and misses were more than likely gar. Stayed on that spot for an hour more and decided to move. At the next spot landed a 10lb blue. Moved again and landed a 15lb channel. Decided to try for a flathead in some shallow tree laden areas. After an hour of no bites and moving baits several times, I moved to deeper, faster water for shot at another blue. After a few minutes landed a 10lb flathead. A few more minutes landed a 15lb flathead. I rarely catch a flathead and took a pic of the 15lber. I usualy only take pictures of 20lb+ fish but couldn't resist. I would like to catch more flatheads they sure are fun. It was a long day and only landed 5 cats but they totaled 110lbs. A good day for me. Here are pics of the 60 and 15lb flathead.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great looking fish! congrats

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Very nice fish..I would call it a "good day" also..Especially landing a 60lber alone to me makes the day and topping it off catching a few nice flatties..Good day indeed...

4. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing.... great read, good report. :worship:

I often wonder how many "missed bites" might be gar?

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Chris for sharing the pics and story of your fishing trip. Nice fish. Enjoyed.

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Nice one there Chris. :cool2:I am betting catching some fish like that on the TN will make saving money by not making the drive all the way to the MS River every week a little easier to stomach. Don't get all worried about those fish along that certain little stretch of deep slow current I will run up there from time to time and try to give them a little exercise for you so when you do come down they will still be in shape.:wink:

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Looks like more than a decent day to me!

8. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Great catch Shadguts. As hard as that river is fished, a sixty pounder is definitely something to be proud of. I sure would like to know how to catch something other than skipjack and drum on the TN River....... but here lately, I've even had trouble catching those.

Maybe I need to book a guided trip with Shadguts Inc.!:wink:

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Very decent day indeed! Thanks for the report.

10. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was afraid of that and posted in the Tennessee thread because of it.:smile2: I like the Tenn river but sure do miss that big water. I will be back there soon.

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You are welcome in my boat any time. I am sure that if you fished that stretch of river as much as I have I'd be booking trips with you.

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Awesome Catch Chris! You are well on your way to becoming a Catfish's worst nightmare. Great work man and as always, Thanks for sharing! :0a31:

13. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Hey, Nice fish!!!! I hope to get out on the river this weekend myself. Have a good one!!!!

14. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    great fish and congratulations. thanks for the post

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You did see my name on that fish? HAHA nice fish glad your out and catching fish.
    But up just a little and to the right of the boat in that big hole. There's a 30+ most days. You may get him next time out.
    Hope the fish keeping biting for you, And get bigger and fight harder.
    Pete