Decemember 7, 1941

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Dec 7, 2005.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    So long ago but I have a slight remembrance of that terrible day.

This pass July my wife and I visited Hawaii. To me, the high light of the trip was Pearl Harbor at Honolulu. It was there we made the tour of the USS Arizona Memorial and the battleship USS Missouri. On the deck of the Missouri is where Japan signed the Formal Surrender to the Allied Powers. I don't see how anyone (from the USA) can go to the Arizona Memorial without having deep feelings. Before the boat takes you out to the Memorial the Park Service shows a film about the attack at Pearl Harbor. I began to shed tears during the film and I wasn't alone. Out on the deck of the Memorial (it is built above the Arizona) I again became choked up and watery eyes as I watched the oil droplets bubble up from the sunken hull of the Arizona. The USS Arizona is the final resting place for many of the ship's 1,177 crewmen who lost their lives on December 7, 1941.

The USS Missouri was in service during Dessert Storm. I'm sure the control room where I sat was very busy place at that time. Outside on the ship they have painted icons representing the missiles that were fired.

We spent over 2 hours standing in lines to get into the entrance of the Memorial. They told us some days the lines are much longer. People from all over the world but mostly Americans and Japanese.
    Also the original control tower is still standing at Hickam Field. Still has the bullet holes from the attack.

For anyone interested, I have some pictures HERE.
    Click on the thumbnails for larger size.

Merry Christmas to all.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Excellant post Dayton! Thanx for the tour and the time to reflect.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thanks for sharing the pics great pics. Been a while since i was over there. sad thing is when i was there i took a film camera and no longer have the pics. so i really enjoyed seeing yours thanks.

4. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Dayton, great post! I'm was not around during this time but I remember the storys that my grandparents would tell me. My heart goes out to all the familys who last someone that day. I know I'll never forget this event. Being from oklahoma I did a history report one time on the uss oklahoma that was hit and sank. The anchor of that ship is in downtown oklahoma city. I just thank everyone who served during that time and for protecting our country. God bless the U.S.A.!

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent post and outstanding pictures, thanks for sharing!

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have been there several times my mothers uncle was there his name is on the wall there as he is buried on the Arizona Lance Corporal Mims. So is my grandfather his brother PFC Mims, December 7th has a very different meaning for us.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Those pictures went from merely interesting... to completely humbling when accompanied by the short words you gave. I really appreciate the fact that you shared this with us- I for one will not be able to afford to fly for some time... let alone on a trip to Hawaii, so this is a bonus for me. I have seen a lot of memorials for soldiers in various places on the planet: the US, England, Russia- I even saw how close to Moscow the Nazis came.... But this really struck me. Probably cause this is Americans... just like me, like you.... someone's sombody who made our little corner of the world as we know it possible.

Thank you for giving us more to think about this holiday season than the usual materialistic garbage that is thrown at us in marketing ploys and sales ads. Thank you for reminding us not to forget the folks that defend the protected society in which we dream and live and play without fear. Without the many fellows whose names fill that wall, we have freedom and all we know now in exchange for the suffering of their individual families. Had those few brave men not stepped forward though and given what little existence they had, perhaps, we may have walls upon walls to fill in their stead.

Merry Christmas, Olefin. Thanks for the gift of gratitude and of humility and of honor. I thank you personally.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    olefin,

Thank you for sharing those photos. Remember Pearl Harbor, and remember all of our soldiers, who have served durring every holiday season.

9. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Olefin
    You look like your at home in that controal room!
    For those of us who may never get the chance to touch history I thank you!

Back in 1981 I worked in the local steel mill - I was new to the department and this old timer took me under his wing - he had two more weeks before retirement - we were on 11-7 and that night began the history lesson -first off he showed me the electric motors that powered the 24 stand rolling mill - all war surplus from subs - all the battery back up for the plant were from subs - the transfer bed was made up of track and drives from tanks - and on and on - on his last night as we all sit eating lunch (3am) he told of Dec 7th - as you see he was at Hickam field - by the time a superintendent passed through and shooed us all out an hour passed and not a word was spoken by anyone the remainder of the shift -

Again - thanks for letting us touch history through you !!!

Oh! by the way - he clocked out for the last time at 7am Dec., 7, 1981 -

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thank you for sharing your visit, thoughts and pictures with us.

God Bless the soldiers in their diligence for all of us to maintain this great nation, the USA. Thank you from a humble American hillbilly woman in TN.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I heard yesterday on a talk radio show, that in 61' or 63', Elvis Presley put on a benefit show in Hawaii to raise money for the building of the Arizona memorial. Our government at the time had no funds they could spare to help in the memorial.

Thanks for sharing, Olefin.

Mery Christmas!

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Great posts by all,wish I had a way with words like some of ya'll.

I'm a little young to have the feelings that Pearl Harbor evoke in some of you,I think you had to be living at the time.Reading about it just dosen't do it justice.The Twin Towers and 9/11 is my"Pearl Harbor".
    Maybe I'll visit N.Y. in 20 years and make a post like olefins.Then I can only pray that someone younger won't have another attack to compare to 9/11

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Awesome post! I have some friends that went and brought pictures back and you can see all the damage done.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thank you for the pictures.

In years past there was a feature on t v rembering Pearl Harbor. I may have missed it this year. I haven't seen a thing about it.
    Has everyone forgoton or is it just old news. Are the powers to be going to forget 9 11 in a few years? A sad state of affairs.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks to all of you fine people for your interesting comments.

I can just barely remember my family and I sitting by the old battery radio listening to the news about Pearl Harbor. At my age I didn't fully understand what it meant. Much different than the kids that watched 9/11 live on TV.

It's a shame that future kids may never hear the real truth of WW11.
    Here is a long but excellent reading on "What Our Children Won't Learn". Sad, about what had happen at the Smithsonian.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Dayton, thank you for sharing those pictures. It happened so long ago but we never forget. It really hits home with what is going on today. I haven't had the chance to read all of the article yet but i'm sure its an excellent read. I'll have to jump into it when i have a few minutes.

Thank you,
    Danny

17. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    great post olefin. i love to learn about pearl harbor, when im not on here i am watching the history channel about ww2. its crazy how many people dont know anything about ww2, i can talk to kids at school and they wont even know who we were fighting or why. Some think that the movie pearl harbor was the real truth and thats all real. it just kind of makes me mad.
    i guess i was lucky in that my grandpa left pearl two days before it happened. i dont remember the ship he was on but i know after pearl he went to war but never saw action. i love listening to war stories, i have sat and listened to two men in the eye doctors office talk about ww2. i hope some day i can go and see pearl harbor, that would be the coolest thing ever. again great post

18. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Olefin
    After reading your post it peaked my need for more so on the way home I stopped and picked up our local paper (they always have a pull out section of experiences from local survivers and pictures and a little story of area servicemen who lost their lives that fatefull day)!

To my supprise not one thing in the whole paper! How soon we forget!

Thanks Olefin for helping us to remember!!!