December Squirrel Hunt

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Sparky Larson, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Here in Michigan, they have extended our Squirrel season to March 1st. That allows us to hunt all winter. I am a still hunter by nature and it is very hard to still hunt when all the leaves are off the trees, but yesterday was so beautiful, (sun shining, 50 degrees, and no wind) I just had to get out in the woods. I saw alot of squirrels on the ground running, to hard to get a shot. I decided to go to this section of the woods that had a little hill and was pretty open. I sat down on a log and was just enjoying the morning. I could believe the amount of squirrels I seen just sitting there. Needless to say, I got my limit of five squirrels in two hours, all within 40 yards of where I sat down. I had to make some longer shots than I usually do, due to the leaves all being on the ground, but it was a great hunt.
    Does any of you guys or gals hunt squirrels in the winter when snow is on the ground?
    Sparky

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, I'm still on the prowel for that old bushy tail. Saturday, it's suppose to get up to the low 50's here in Michigan, so if the wind isn't blowing I think I'll go give it a try. My count so far this season is 44. If I go tomorrow, I'll be taking along my .32 cal muzzleloader. It will be the first time out of the locker this year. It's always a hoot trying to get close enough to those little critters this time of year. Making that head shot is hard enough with a rifle let along an open site muzzle loader.
    I'll let you know how I do.
    Sparky

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Good Luck most of all have fun

4. Semper_Fi

Semper_Fi New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Was out yesterday. Sat in my deer treestand with the ol' 22.... had a blast! Haven't done that in years.

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well I made it out yesterday. The weather was beautiful, til about 12:30pm and the wind came up and it got cold. It was a good day to be out in the squirrel woods. I got my limit of five in about two and half hours. I must admit, I missed a couple. But, that is why we call it hunting and not killing.
    I still have a couple of months yet. Here in Michigan, our season is from 15 Sept. til the first of March, so that gives us a pretty long season.
    Sparky

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Hey Semper_Fi,
    Do you use a scope whith that 22 or just sights??
    What kind of shells...Caps or regular?
    John

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sparky, we hunt 'em in the winter here, too.

I live on 80 wooded acres on the N. Canadian river, and this year there have been an unbelievable number of squirrels, mostly grays. Seems like every year I see fewer and fewer fox squirrels.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Believe it or not, once the Gray's move in, the fox move out. They don't get along together very well. Where I live, we have all Fox & Reds. 35 miles away toward the lake shore, there are Gray's and Blacks, and if I go North 50 to 70 miles, we have a lot of gray's & black's
    Sparky

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went out with the boy we only got one.

Merry Christmas

Attached Files:

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hahaha! thats hiliarious!

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    That is too Funny!
    Sparky

12. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey sparky

i got 50 so far in indiana but are season only goe from nov. 10 - jan.30 i have to go for now but add me to ur buddy list and we'll chat later

thanx,jr

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, I went out Sunday morning and completed my goal of 50 squirrels this season. I only saw one, but I got him right square in the noggin at about 30yards. Not bad for an "old fart" with a .32cal muzzel loader with open sites. I must admit, that shot was more the exception than the rule.
    Sparky

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This "old fart" can shoot.:smile2:

15. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will hopefully be going in a couple of weeks, probably my only time this year. I just love popping them with my dad's Savage Anshultz w/Leupold scope, it is a tack driver.