December catfish from the Delaware Reservoir

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Vonroc, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Headed out to Delaware Res today.. Water high and muddy not much bank fishing access. Heavy rains from Friday caused flooding. Decided to head to Alum, can't hardly tell it rained Friday. Water slightly muddy but not high. Set up on the bank and started fishing. Caught 7 cats , nothing to brag about but aleast was catching fish . Here is a few pics, all caught on cut bait .

Attached Files:

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Here is a few more

Attached Files:

3. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Here is 2 more, couldn't fit them in other post.

Attached Files:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You had a great day. What were you using for bait and how deep were you fishing?

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Neocats, using cut shad - I think it's around 10' or so where I was casting.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    nice catches wish it wasnt so cold here. lucky duck! lol.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good catches! that first pic looks like a Blue cat, does that lake have blues in it? if so i might be making a road trip!:smile2:

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on your catches. You faired better than I did, I didn't even get to go fishing.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Me either! LOL! Nice haul there Mike. Thanx for sharein.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    You Lucky Duck, Congrats on the Channel cats Vonroc. The lakes here in Iowa have frozen over this past week,and the Missouri river is so low that We can't get the boats launched without tearing something up. Might have to take up Ice fishing. I wonder if a 7 1/2 ft. Ecat with an Abu 7000C3 spooled with 80 pound Braid would be overkill for them panfish? LOL. J.D.
    :beat_shot:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Nice batch of fish there. AIn't no way I would been out there fishin yesterday! BRRRRRrrrrrrrr!

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Michael,
    That's a nice mess of fish - for December - Thanks for sharing. :big_smile:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great catch Michael.Thanks for posting pictures.

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Way to go dude!! I also thought one or two might have been blues??? anyone want to pitch in on that?? I didnt think Alum had Blues
    BTW, I got skunked yesterday....:crazy:
    Salmonid

15. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    nice fish,wish I could stand the cold,so I couyld be out there getting some of that action as well.Thanks for sharing

16. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I'm looking at a catfish book right now. It looks like a blue cat to me also. It's kind of hard to tell with the anal fin laying on the ground the way it is. Blues have a straight edge fin and channels have a more rounded fin. But as far as the coloring it looks like a blue. If I get a chance I'll call the Division Of Wildlife tomorrow. I never heard of blue cats in Alum.

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Whoops, I said Alum but the post was from Deleware res. , Sorry about that, I think I said Alum because somewhere else folks have said there were blues in Alum. If you talk to DNR ask them what lakes have them, weather historically or now.
    Thanks will be interesting info, thats for sure!

Salmonid

18. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Salmonid, no you're right. I started at Delaware but it was high and flooded. All fish were caught at Alum Creek .

19. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I believe all were channel catfish, the state stocked blues in Alum back in the late 70s.But as I caught these and removed the hook I assumed channels nothing looked unusual so I didn't count the rays.I'll make a habit of counting rays from now on just so there isn't any confusion.Many older channels here have a blue coloring.It's the number of rays that help me to tell them apart.

20. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I called Div. of Wildlife today at 3:00 p.m. All the fish guys were in a meeting so I will try again tomorrow.