December 7th, never forget this day in history!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Dec 7, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    USS Arizona Memorial as seen from the USS Missouri. 2005
    Few Americans visit the Memorial without shedding tears, including this American!

Click here for photo.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The History Channel has run Pearl Harbor special most of the day, been watching them.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Good Post! I wonder how many kids, and even young adults, would know this piece of History.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    To be honest i did know about this piece of history, although the exact day wasn't clear. thank you for the reminder. it is hard to remember all the dates with importance through out our great countries great and rich history.

it was a great sight to see, however one thing did PO me about it. it was all the non-American Japanese that were running around and some i even saw smiling and what not. it was almost a slap in the face to mine/our forefathers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We even saw Japanese teenagers laughing. I would like to have busted them in the mouth.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know exactly what your saying... i dont speak Japanese, however i know when i am being laughed at in any language. i think i may go visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki and just stand on every corner laughing. i wouldnt do that though because i have some respect for all humans life even if they were our sworn enemies during a war.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Your just too Damn Nice Jeremy,But that's O.K you be Good People!!! It Don't bother me one Damn bit telling them Japs what I think about Pearl Harbor or the Rape of Nanking in China or the Batan Death March!!!! J.D.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have always wanted to visit pearl harbor.. to see the uss arizona!!My step dad's father was in WWII and i have always had great intrest in WWII and WWI..I have shot a few guns from WWI and WWII...My step dad onws them...a few we cant shoot because there to old and dont want to break them...but i think is i a bunch of bs that the japanese...to be laughting..im with ya jeremy...but i couldnt do that...i would feel horrible...but it isnt right that they do that...that a us memorial that is important in history!!!with out pearl harbor i would have nothing to do in school since that the only hting that interests me!!!Thank you for ALL who served/serve for our country and put your lives on the line for us normal citizens!!!Some people like ths japs think it is all a joke obviously but it isnt!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  9. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    I've always said that TWO things saved Europe in WW11, one was Pearl Harbour & the other was "Operation Barbarossa"... (namely, America & Russia's respective entry into the conflict). In late March 1945, an American patrol crossed the border from the west into Germany..... meanwhile, the Russians were taking control of Berlin in the East. (The Fuhrer's war was brought home to him)......As soon as Hitler's defensive troops heard that the Russians were on the doorstep.....they ran westwards to surrender to the Yanks & Brits.....(ANYTHING to avoid the Russians).

My point is, from a European angle, although December 7th 1941 played it's part in European liberation, June 22nd of the same year was just as important......can we find it in our hearts to remember the millions of Russian people who paid the ultimate price for freedom?

GREAT post Dayton:wink:

Operation Barbarossa
    [youtubevid]AOhrBNloruM[/youtubevid]

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you moved me mike. awesome post bro, great footage, love the music. in the span of those few years the world was baptised in the blood of millions. some gave there lives willingly, some were forced to fight, some were casualies, and others murdered. i visited the holocuast museum and felt sick at the graffic evidence of what was the horrific attempt to wipe out a complete race. last night i watched "the pianist", it disturbed me how brutal the nazis were. now in a day of a new fanatics and lunitics willing to murder for a cause, i wonder are we facing an atomic holocaust with the cold war over and the supply and demand of bad stuff. you ever see that hbo movie Pu232?

11. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

I do :big_smile:, I know about a lot of history to be honest... Dad's like a history book always watching shows like this, and with him being an ex marine he's all about the usa and it's history too :smile2:

And to be honest, I'd prolly shed a tear if I went there.. I almost cried when I seen the vietnam and korean memorial when I went there and seen them.. it was extremely sad thinking about all the people that died, and all the families that had to go through what they went through.. so if I ever went to this one I just might haha although I'm just a very emotional person as it is :smile2:

God bless the good ol US of A :cool2:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

If that isn't a video you created, then please tell me who did.

13. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Can't say that I have Matt....I'll keep an eye out for it though.

On a similar note, the most harrowing real-life thing I have ever read was a chapter in Kitty Hart-Moxon's "Return To Auschwitz" (see attached image), trust me here Matt, ONE isolated incident in this book will stay with me 'till the day I die & it's too horrific to post here, "The Pianist" & "Schindler's List" both paled into insignificance by comparison.

The reason she caught my attention was because after the war, she lived right here in Birmingham where the book was written. She received an O.B.E. from the Queen in 2003 & currently lives in Hertfordshire (just outside London).

Please take 5 minutes to read her Wikipedia page here.

Thanks to you & Dayton for the reps :wink::wink:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

Ok Tanya:-

Nope, I didn't create it unfortunately & I have no idea who did (sorry :sad2:), I just went over to YouTube, typed in "Operation Barbarossa" & there it was. The fact that it's in colour was an added bonus.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The very best documentary I've ever seen of WW2 was on the History Channel last month. It's the first WW2 documentary presented in full color and HD. The series is 10 hours.

I'm sure the series will repeat again soon. Don't miss, if you haven't seen it. I'll probably watch again. It has commercials but the DVR took care of those.

Move info, World War 2 in HD.