decatur spillway

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by slikk03, Jul 6, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i did preety good down at decatur spilway im gonna go back with some bluegill and worms i got 2 ten pounders off of worm they barly bite you can hardly tell there on there

2. U-262FirstMate

U-262FirstMate New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you had a good time fishing the spillway! I've been down there a few times this year. Nothing to show but a 15 lb. carp that I snagged jig fishing for walleye. I did see a guy catch a 24 inch walleye down there in mid may and a couple of kids caught a stringer of nice cats another time I was there. I like to fish from a boat myself, so the high water has kept me off the river most of the year. However, the Sangamon is a really good catfish river if you can get access. Keep posting and good luck!

U-262

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hooked into a monster that was pulling me in he got off,now the water shut off on the east side and its no good,let me know if anybodeysw having luck in the nasty decater river below the dam

4. U-262FirstMate

U-262FirstMate New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Slikk,

Usually I'm not one to second the argument of a river being nasty, but the Sangamon is NOT pretty when it's a low water year and they don't let any water out of Lake Decatur. High water like this year carries a lot of the trash and sewage, etc. away from town and the river stays pretty swift and clean. I've been gone a few years and just came back to town this year, but I remember in late 2005 when she was low I took a walk below the dam and it was downright disgusting. Trash everywhere and the river was near a stagnant pool. Too often these lakes are managed simply for pleasure boaters with no thoughts to the rivers below them and what damage can be done to the fisheries. It amazes me to see guys catch some nice walleyes down below the dam in the spring. When that water gets low and stagnant, it's hard to imagine ANYTHING living in there outside of a few carp, drum, and gar. I don't think the cats even care for it much. Let's hope they manage the water coming out of the lake more responsibly in the future and keep the river flowing at least enough to clean away the rubbish.

U-262

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are some real nice fish, I sometimes resort to nightcrawlers when I am catching nothing else