Decatur Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MWR0976, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MWR0976

MWR0976 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A buddy and me went to Decatur lake last night and tried to catch a flathead. We had a couple really aggressive bites, but only caught a couple channel cats about 4 lbs each. This is the first time I have fished for flats at Decatur. We went north of Rae's bridge, probably should have just stayed on the river. Has anyone else fished in this area?

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We fish Decatur a lot for mainly channel,(crappie/bluegills) I have never saw much flats from that area of the lake .I have saw some nice flats caught in the Nelson park area to Lost Bridge,If you have no tried that area fish between them two bridges,also down below the damn and in the sangamon river

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol are you kidding, decater spillway may hold the state record flatheads, its the best place in the state, for flatheads, try right up agst the wall at the dam let it suck in the corner, i pulled that 42 out last week, from there, and most on my avatar, get in the whitewater, use big sunfish, and circal hooks

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    where can a guy catch alot of fish not really looking for size too much as much as quantity cats. any help would be appreciated

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol thats my town, theres 80 pounders in the spillway maby 90s, this is a fact, iv talked to many guys who pull 80 pounders out in their life there it might hold th stae record ,no it does so does coffen and sangchris

6. MWR0976

MWR0976 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Slikk03 have you ever fished clinton lake for flatheads? I went to decatur lake again last friday night and we caught a 6# flathead north of Rae's bridge. It was pretty chilly that night. Planning on going this weekend again to decatur.